Worms in my gravel?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Loraina

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I just started a new 10 Gallon tank 2 months ago. Right now it only has some cory cats and brig. snails. Today, as I was feeding them, I realized there were a BUNCH of worms (large, like bloodworms) poking up from the gravel. I did feed live bloodworms when there were a couple of Mollies in this tank a couple weeks ago. What's the deal? Do I need to do something about them? Are they dangerous, or will they get out of control? Are there fish that I can get that will really go after these worms? I have a couple of african dwarf frogs in another tank who love their worms. Could I put them in there to work on them? Any and all suggestions welcome!
Loraina

You could try putting the frogs in there or you may try a yo-yo (pakastani) loach. They have barbels and like to pick around in the substrate but I am not sure if they will eat the worms or not. I am assuming that they will. I know that they love snails. The only problem that I can see is if for some reason all of the worms die off. Then your water parameters will be changed. It wouldn't be as much of a problem in a larger tank because there is more water to "dilute your problem", but it could have a drastic effect on the parameters of your small ten gallon tank. I would try the frog fist, loach second, then if those don't work I would get out the gravel vac and get rid of most of them.

I agree, go with natural solution. I had some type of worms in my tank a long long time ago and the lfs gave me some chemical to rid of the worms. Needless to say it worked.... It got rid of my woms, plants, and fish. This was several years ago but still, its your ecosystem. Something can be introduced into its food chains that will take care of or controll the worms. I feel that chemicals are riskier and that the natural approach is more rewarding.

Do they look anything like the worms in this topic?

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=88331&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=worms

worm2.jpg

If they do, read the entire topic.

Back
Top Bottom