Zebra danios problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

booginish

Aquarium Advice Activist
ok im new to the forums on this site, i need some advice on the activity of my zebra danios. My 55 gallon tank had signs of ich about a month ago, i sadly lost all my fish, i have had many fish and many fish tanks in the past but i have never encountered ich, so i had no idea how to address it properly. i got mixed signals all over the net and the pet stores(as always) were completely unknowledgable. After my last 2 fish died i cleaned out the whole tank gravel and all, And began cycling my tank with seachem stability, i bought 2 albino corys and 5 zebra danios, they seemed comfortable at first, water at 78 degrees, biozorb bag removing phosphates and other organic matter that are harsh to your fish, used aqua clear to remove chlorine and heavy metals etc. . But recently iv noticed a couple of my zebra danios hanging around the bottom of my tank, everyone else is ok but they just hang around the bottom not really moveing. i want to know if i maybe have the water temp to high, or maybe im doin something else wrong, i just did a big water change and that didnt seem to help i only changed bout 40 percent of the water, so im stumped. i will include my ph,nitate, and ammonia levels in a few hours( i just added seachem, they through off your test sometimes).

What point is your tank cycle at? Such lethargy could be gill damage if the ammonia's too high, or was high when you first introduced them. 78 degrees F is on the high end for danios, but mine have lived at that temp for short periods and not seemed to mind it; I normally keep mine at around 75F.

Are the inactive danios hiding, or trying to? When I got my danios last fall, a couple exhibited similar symptoms to what yours are doing, and sat around in the plants not moving much. These zebras should be active, even hyper, when healthy.

For mine, I determined that they had velvet disease, which is a little tricker to see than the ich spots; look for signs of scratching against plants or decor, and a cloudy or rusty color on them.

my ammonia levels were round .06 maybe even lower and my nitrite levels were a bit high(.03) but only because my tank is not fully cycelled yet, they dont seem to be hiding as much, but they were before. i lowered the temp last night and they seem more active today. i noticed two of the fishes gills is a bit red(i have 4 zebra danios now), but the 2 that seem sick arent eating and there tails are kinda droopy, but they still seem to swim just fine when they are moving with the droopy tail. i guess il just see if they improve in the few hours and go from there

Back
Top Bottom