Bad Suprise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HoCkEyGmC

Aquarium Advice Addict
Today when I got home from school, I saw my tank for the first time since Saturday and my tank looked like a wreck. Frogspawn fell but is fine. Ricordea on a tiny piece of rubbel was burried in the sand. Blasto drag fell. And there was dust algae everywhere. Now, all of those have happened before and were a simple fix. But what really suprised me was my birdsnest frag. It wAs bleached like crazy on the side directly in the light and the side that wasn't in the direct light was browned. Also, on the bleached side there has been polyp loss. I'm wondering why this is? I just added purigen on Saturday morning and I had wayyy higher expectations for the tank today.
And I know how you all love parameters so here you go.
Nitrate 5ish. (wayyyy better)
Nitrite, ammonia 0
Ph 8.1-8.2
Alk 4
Sorry for not having pictures, computer should be back in soon.
Thanks!

If I am not mistaken your Alk is a little low, But I could be mistaken. I think It could be another issue. What else do you have in the Tank?

I also thought that the alk was low before and when I asked, most said it was ok so I have no idea. Ummmm the closest things around it are two clams, a trumpet coral and that's really it. Idk what it could be, idk if the lighting could have been too intense or something. Idk. Oh, and it's mounted on a hollow greenish-clear plastic frag plug filled with CC. Idk if any of that helps but there yah go!
Thanks!

I believe its dkh. then again, I didnt use the special dropper which controls the amount of fluid in each drop. The test kit is extremely unclear on how to do the alk levels. I will be getting a new test kit later this week i can assure you.
Thanks!

Oh, just thought about this, I may have shocked the coral. At my lfs the SPS are kept under VHO's which are about 18" above the water and about a 12" raceway. In my tank, the MH is about an inch or two above the water and with the fragplug, the coral is about 5" below the surface. Also, my pump is still pumping air, I've tightened the hoseclamp with no luck for fiixing the problem, do you think I could seal the other tube that could be the issiue with wax or something?
Thanks!

... In my tank, the MH is about an inch or two above the water and with the fragplug, the coral is about 5" below the surface. ...

Think you found the problem.

And definitely figure out that alkalinity issue. 4 dkH is incredibly bad. 4 meq/l is great.

Idk what the alk really means but I'm using reef crystals if that helps at all? Definately gettin a new test kit aswell.
Thanks!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom