Chalice placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EriksFish315

Aquarium Advice Addict
As the title says what's the best place for a chalice coral in a 55 gallon reef with a four bulb t5 light?

Chalice are typically a med-low light coral, with moderate flow. Some of the ultra-colored ones may prefer higher light, but most do not.
Mid-water placement in your tank should be about right.

Alright thanks I have it on the sand bed because I'm still debating where to place it. Also my local reef store told me to frag it and bring the frags to them what's the best way to frag chalice? I'll post ya a picture of this beautiful coral.

Picture of the blue chalice and a FTS

Attachments

• image-2029435108.jpg
    image-2029435108.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3171281200.jpg
    image-3171281200.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 116
EriksFish315 said:
Alright thanks I have it on the sand bed because I'm still debating where to place it. Also my local reef store told me to frag it and bring the frags to them what's the best way to frag chalice? I'll post ya a picture of this beautiful coral.

Cool looking Chalice!
I've never fragged a Chalice, but I think you could approach it 2 different ways.
You could either try to break off certain ears or leaves of it with just your hands, although this is kind of a gamble, because it could break in places you don't want it to, or use a fine-toothed coping saw, similar to a hack-saw, and cut off the pieces you want to frag.
Also, try to make sure the new frags have at least one edge that is uncut, new growth. This way the entire circumference doesn't have to try to heal. The frag will have a better chance at surviving this way.
Then just glue them to some plugs, or rubble rock.
Some people also dip fresh cut frags, but I'm not sure in what.

Yeah that's what I have been reading. Theydip them in a lugols solution to reduce stress I believe.

Back
Top Bottom