Coral Bleaching???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPloman

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Green Button Plops have started to turn white!!! What is wrong with them, are they going to die, and did I do something to cause this?

I had some zoos fall behind my liverock and they lost color. Could it be from lack of light? Mine recovered when I finally got to rescue them and move them back up on the rockwork.

The only thing that has changed is that we did a water change about a week ago. We did have some problems with that change... Nothing big, but someone (my husband) did not use the filtered water, then forgot to add the Stress Coat drops till after all the water had been added. Is that maybe whats wrong?

There are several reasons a coral will bleach out. I've read that sharp changes in temperature will do it as well as high temps for extended periods are two that pop into my head. Hard to say why yours bleached but give them some time. If they are healthy, they should recover.

JPloman said:
then forgot to add the Stress Coat drops till after all the water had been added. Is that maybe whats wrong?
Could be a number of issues associated with this alone depending on your tap water. Chloramines (possibley copper) are the largest concern as it kills bacteria and algaes, hopefully you run carbon regularly.

A few water changes with properly prepared SW would be a good idea.

Cheers
Steve

We dont use tap water normally, but our filter is all messed up... I think we are going to have to get a new one :cry:

Here is a photo of what my otherwise beautiful corals look like right now.

Attachments

• coral_bleached.jpg
    coral_bleached.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 49
Back
Top Bottom