Cupramine Treatment goes berzerk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xahx

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, i added the first dose of Cupramine today, and This evening i notice that my clown tang and fairy wrasse are heavily covered with white spots!

They dont seem to be eating either... They were both fine b4 the treatment. And since the treatment, it seems they are very stressed.

My other fish in the qt are a pair of black clowns and a purple tang and 2 fire fish.. They seem to be fine

I freshwater dipped my fairy wrasse and clown tang, for about 2 minutes, after i noticed the heavy white spots. They are there still but i hope they dissapear tomorrow.

Ive decided to remove the cupramine via Carbon bag, and not to treat them for fear that i will lose them all instead...

Has anyone had this kind of effect with cupramine?

A couple questions to ask to start:

1) What size QT are you using?

2) What symptoms were the fish showing before you moved them to QT?

Try some garlic with their food. This should stimulate a feeding response. Let us know the answers to the other questions and we can help.

tripper

Agree, what size tank are the fish in. What is the ammonia, nitrite and PH readings?
I freshwater dipped my fairy wrasse and clown tang, for about 2 minutes
I would bet this or the water parameters are the problem. Cupramine does not normally spur this kind of reaction if dose properly. How much did you dose and how are you measuring the level? I would not suggest any more dips, IMO they are more stressful than they are worth. Did you PH and temp adjust the dip?
Ive decided to remove the cupramine via Carbon bag, and not to treat them for fear that i will lose them all instead...
What is your alternative plan? This is one of the best treatments out there.

1) What size QT are you using?

40 gal

2) What symptoms were the fish showing before you moved them to QT

Marine ich, is why i moved them to qt
What is your alternative plan? This is one of the best treatments out there.

Hypo?? Wchich is more stressful?

My FAiry wrasse died this morning,

This is how i medicated, I added the first dose of cupramine, and did the Seachem copper test, an hour later, My clown tang looks as if his skin is tightening on his bdy and his face is sucked in (Keep in mind he hastn been eating much either) Then Later that night, Both the fairy wrasse and the clown tang borke out with a bad infestation of ich, this is when i decided to dip them, after the dip, they seemed a little more active, but then this morning i woke up to pretty bad news... Did i do something wrong with the cupramine?

The qtis newly sety up and I am still changing the water daily, about 20% The ammonias rise daily to about .25-.5, been water changing for a week straight now

THe other fish such as my purple tang and clowns and fire fish are all fine, including the clown gobys i have.

xahx said:
This is how i medicated, I added the first dose of cupramine, and did the Seachem copper test
What was the copper level after testing and how much Cupramine did you add?

Then Later that night, Both the fairy wrasse and the clown tang borke out with a bad infestation of ich, this is when i decided to dip them, after the dip, they seemed a little more active, but then this morning i woke up to pretty bad news... Did i do something wrong with the cupramine
Without hearing more about the Cupramine dosage/test results, I'd be more inclined to suspect the FW dip than anything else. One of two reasons I always warn against there use, if done incorrectly the dip will do much more harm than good. Also FW dips have little affect of C. irritans for the most part.

Cheers
Steve

it took about three weeks at correct dosage for my fish to stop showing signs of whitespot, but i persevered and it worked

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom