Damaged Buterfly, needs a plaster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi again
I have just recently bought a Butterfly fish from the LFS, which they tell me is a yellow tail butterfly, any way he has been fine until Sunday, most of that day spent hiding, in the evening I noticed he had damaged his side, looks like he has lost a scale or two and has been bleeding a little, there is nothing to prey on him in the tank, I am assuming he has had a fright in the night and caught himself on some Ocean rock, LFS said he should ok just watch him, is this right?
He does come out and forage a little then goes back to the rock cave to hide, ocasionally he will rub himself on some rock to try and remove the little piece of dried blood on his side, the damage looks clean (no gunge, or puss crap) he is not chased or hounded by the other ocupants, water quality is good,is there anything you guys think I should do for him? I don't think he would appricate a plaster stuck :cry: on him.

Keep careful watch for secondary infection and sign of fingus. As long as the wound appears smooth you should be fine. If it is eating, make sure you suppliment the foods with a quality marine vitamin. Zoe or Selcon are good if available in the UK.

Melafix can also be an ideal treatment for wounds and will help protect it as it heals. Sometimes it is not neccessary providing it is getting better but an option none the less.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve

I was whatching last night, he seems to be serching for food a little now but he is still a shy, his side has lost the blood scab but there is some scale damage as in about 2 of them are sticking out quite alot but the wound looks clean at the moment, he seems to have just about stoped rubing the damaged side on rock, just once last night, I supose it must be a little like us; your cuts always itch a little when healing or perhaps trying to remove the damaged scales as they must unbalence him in the water, who knows? I will try him on some live brine shrimp, I think the chromis beat him to the draw on the food front at the moment, he just gets the scraps.

I'l Keep Whatching, thanks again
Chris

If the other fish do not stop picking on the butterfly or the wound is not healing in a timely fashion, you should consider a QT . That will allow for it to get a good amount of enriched foods and a better chance to heal unharrased. It will also be ready if there is a need to treat with anti biotics. Best to set a >>quarantine<< up now just to be safe.

Cheers
Steve

Ok Steve

I will set up QT tonight as soon as I get home, then watch to see if he gets better.

Thanks.

Butterfly is about to go fins up I think. Put him in QT last night after some trouble actualy finding him, (on his side under filter) the loose scale have come off but under the mucas membrane on his skin was a patch of blood again about an inch by half inch wide, he swam a little but stays with head up. this morning he is on his side again in the bottom of QT tank breathing quite rapidly in a half curled position. I think he is making ready to go to the big reef in the sky, bummer really cost me £26, I don't think he ever got over the transfer from LFS then the damage that night on the rocks 1 or the other would have been ok but not both, I don't blame the Choc Chip star yet but if it happens again I may point a finger.
Still thats life. or not in his case!

Back
Top Bottom