Feather Duster on the loose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimmer910

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I just got a feather duster not knowing much about them, my mistake. I just thought they were filter feeders and I wouldn't have to do much. Well now my feather duster lost its feathers and is out of its tube. The worm is still moving around, but is it going to live?

Possibly. If parameters are pristine and stable and the worm isn't harassed, it can find a new spot to rebuild the tube and re grow it's 'dusters' with time.

Possibly. If parameters are pristine and stable and the worm isn't harassed, it can find a new spot to rebuild the tube and re grow it's 'dusters' with time.

I hope it does but I'm sure it's under a ton of stress. It must of got caught in the current when it came out b/c I saw it swirling around in it. Then it went under the stress of me catching it and placing it in a safe spot. One can only hope the little guy survives.

Once they eject from the tubes that's usually it for them. These guys can stress super easily from being caught and really need to be handled gently when being put in a bag and when being acclimated

Once they eject from the tubes that's usually it for them. These guys can stress super easily from being caught and really need to be handled gently when being put in a bag and when being acclimated

Yeah I think I really stressed it out, but lesson learned. As on now it looks to be alive but can't 100% tell. Are they the type that shouldn't touch the air at all when moving it from the bag to tank?

Back
Top Bottom