flashing, itching blenny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonnyKhan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 3 inch lawnmower blenny in a 55 gallon tank with one other fish, a Clarke's anemonefish. An Elbii angelfish was with them, but died yesterday of (I think) bacterial and fungal infection. All water parameters are perfect(no ammonia, virtually no nitrites and very low nitrates) except pH which was down to 8.0 after a 25% water change and the temperature, which was up to %80. Both have been corrected with buffering powder and lowering the thermostat.

The angelfish died of a two week illnesss that started with a cloudy eye, progressed to ragged fins and two cloudy eyes, and eventually listlessness and rapid breathing. It responded to Sulfa drugs and Melafix and was almost cured before quickly relapsing. At one point it has white salt specks (like Ich), which disappeared with a freshwater dip and treatment. I think this must have been a case of one underlying problem weakening the fish and leading to secondary infections. I'm still not sure which is which.

The blenny has no visible problems or spots, and is eating well and vigourously. He hasn't had contact with the angelfish since it began sulfa treatment in the hospital tank. Melafix was used in the main aquarium. The blenny has been in the tank for months and has had no problem. The angel was a new acquisition. The anemonefish is unaffected

The blenny appears to be striking himself sideways against the gravel and rocks, as if he wanted to knock something off his skin. He sits normally for a while and then hurls himself against the rocks or sand. He seems fine afterward. I can't see anything on him. Could this be related to the angelfish's death? What should I do? I don't want to put him in the infected quarantine tank.

Thank you for your help.

It sounds very much like ich. I would in the future not give your fish a FW bath. I have never seen a fish that survived one. The fish is already stressed out and the FW dip only put him further down. I tried it once many years ago and said I will never do it again. As I`ve said I`ve never seen one recover from the shock of it. Here are some links on ich and about a QT.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

It sounds very much like ich. I would in the future not give your fish a FW bath. I have never seen a fish that survived one. The fish is already stressed out and the FW dip only put him further down. I tried it once many years ago and said I will never do it again. As I`ve said I`ve never seen one recover from the shock of it. Here are some links on ich and about a QT.

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

No FW bath, even when newly purchased from the LFS and (presumably) healthy? I FW bathes all my fish so far, and none have died yet.. *knock on wood*...

No I never do a FW bath but I would imagine that if they are pretty healthy and new that they might survive but a fish stressed out from disease and illness I would not even try because they will not make it. JME

Back
Top Bottom