Ground clown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good job Kdoo 5 ppm for nitrates is good. What is nitrites and ammonia.

I would probably do another 30% or so water change to get those nitrite and ammonia numbers a little lower. Try to keep the Nitrite at about .5 and ammonia about .25 or in that ball park.

Let your fish's health dictate additional water changes. Keep a close eye on their gills and breathing. The cycle burns their gill and they can become red and inflamed. Your cycle will take longer this way but it will minamize the stress on your fish. If you have any friends in the hobby the easiest thing to do would be put your fish in thier sump for a couple weeks and cycle the tank with a raw shrimp.

What causes nitrates and nitrites to rise? Is there something I can specifically for those.. And how do I get a profile pic up I can't find how to load one

Fish waste = Ammonia
Overfeeding = Ammonia

Ammonia turns into the nitrites and those nitrites turn into nitrates.

So basically it's ammonia.

Not cleaning filters can cause a spike.
Dirty tank can cause a spike.

One more question and I'll leave you guys alone. When the water evaporates should I just keep putting the fresh water in to level out the salinity or should I just remove an additional gal and replace let's say 5. Just want to get things figured so I keep em healthy.. Thanks again

ammonia and nitrite are toxic. nitrate is not. i would be worried about those- they are what's killing the fish.
btw, when we say ammonia, it's not much different than pouring a bottle of regular cleaning ammonia into your aquarium.
do water changes until ammonia and nitrite are ZERO.

add fresh water for top offs.

ammonia and nitrite are toxic. nitrate is not. i would be worried about those- they are what's killing the fish.
btw, when we say ammonia, it's not much different than pouring a bottle of regular cleaning ammonia into your aquarium.

add fresh water for top offs.

I couldn't agree more. With MR X.

Man you not bothering us. Just use what you learn and someday you'll be able to help someone else. That's what AA is all about. No question is Dum.
Glad were here to help ya. I'l tell ya I learn new stuff here everyday.

going to have to disagree on this point. It would not be possible to do water changes and get the ammonia and nitrite down to zero during the cycle. At the end of the cycle they will be zero but during you want to do water change to keep those levels low so it does not put any further stress on your fish. Because you are keeping the ammonia and nitrite levels so low you should expect your cycle to take a little longer then if you were doing a fishless cycle.

Wanted to give you guys an update. My friend had a nano cube that has been up for about a year now so I got all my live stock out. I think I might of lost the star cause he is shedding his limbs. I want my tank to finish its cycle, so do I let the nitrates,trites,amonia levels get high or should I keep doing water changes?

now that you got everything out just monitor your water parameters and wait for the ammonia and nitrite to return to 0 then do a PWC.

Wanted to give you guys an update. My friend had a nano cube that has been up for about a year now so I got all my live stock out. I think I might of lost the star cause he is shedding his limbs. I want my tank to finish its cycle, so do I let the nitrates,trites,amonia levels get high or should I keep doing water changes?
good deal!

Back
Top Bottom