Mushroom coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does this mushroom coral look healthy? I don't know anything about them but I'm trying to learn. I got it about 24 hours ago.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120831_173239.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120831_173239.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ForumRunner_20120831_173331.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120831_173331.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 82
They look pretty good.
When mushrooms are in higher light or flow than they want, they tend to remain small. When the lighting is lower, they will expand, to increase their surface area, this allows them to absorb more light. When the lighting is higher, they don't need to expand, as they are getting enough light, the way they are.
To try to get them to expand, you could try to put them in a low light, low flow area. But they do look healthy, as they are.

Ok, I was afraid I didn't have enough lighting. I have a 48" 216w t5 4 bulb fixture. What other types of corals do you think I can accomidate with this fixture? I have a 6' tank so I added an additional fixture to brighten it up more. Its only a t8 but it helps to brighten it up a bit.

Most of the soft corals would be OK with that light, and you could do some LPS like Torch, Hammer, Frogspawn, higher up on your rock work.
6', so I'm assuming a 125 at 20" depth? If you want more expansion from the mushrooms, maybe try to put them on the fringe of the light at the corners.

I will move the mushrooms. Thank you. And thank you for the ideas on other corals. My wife wants me to add more but I didn't know what to get. It is a 210 and I believe it has a 24" depth.

Honestly, I don't know how to tell what is a LPS or not. Really, I don't know what that stands for but I see it all the time. And how do I know what is considered a "soft" coral.

LPS stands for long polyp stony coral, SPS is for short polyp stony coral. Both of these types of coral have a hard skeleton, which the individual polyps protrude from. The difference between the two is basically just the length of the polyp. SPS polyps are very small, whereas LPS polyps can stretch to 6 or 7", depending on the type of coral.
Any soft coral, is one that lacks any type of calcareous skeleton, like Leathers, Zoanthids, Mushrooms, Xenia, Palythoas, Colony polyps, etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom