need immediate help - banner butterfly looking awful

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lziarek

Aquarium Advice Freak
My butterfly was swimming and eating today and then the tank lights turn off and I went to do some reading before bed. The tank is in my bedroom, and when I turned on the bed room lights I saw him lying on the bottom breathing heavy. The section above his eyes looks compressed and you can see his later line very difinitively. Is there anything I can do, or should I ease his passing?

How long has he been on there? Any frayed fins?
Who are his tankmates and what are your water parameters?

You should isolate the fish immediately to a bare hospital tank with . a heater, sponge filter and something for the fish to hide in or behind is best. Slowly adjust SP to 1.019 and provide a little extra aeration.

Were the lines there prior to the lights going off?

Maybe, but moving him might put him over the edge. Need more info like how are the other animals doing and the water chem's. Specifically PH and ammonia levels.

ph 8.2 all others (amonia, nitrite, nitrate) are 0, he died shortly afterwards. It was very sudden and he was very little. It looked like he was in shock, since he was spasaming (maybe he accidently swam into my rbta?). All other fish are eating per normal and acting normal, ill keep a look out for anything suspicious. Im just not sure what to look out for. It seems like he went from normal to dead in about 2 hours. Now that I think about it, I did super glue some ricondria polyps the day before, maybe that had something to do with it (I would feel rotten if this was the case =( ).

as for the previous questions he was in the main for approx week and a half, I got him from a friend who has to move and cannot move his fish (too far). I believe he was in my friends tank for upwards of 3 months. He had no frayed fins and his coloration was good. The only visible signs, besides his spasams were his lateral line was highly visible the top of his head twoard his dorals fin was compressed and looking at his body I noticed three verticle lines equally spaced bellow his lateral line on both sides. Any ideas what this is? I dont think its HLLE, but I have never experienced a SW disease thus far.

I'll move this to the sick fish forum, it will get buried fast here.
he was in the main for approx week and a half,
I would normally say cyanide poisoning. A number Heni's are collected that way, depends on the supplier. But since he was in your friends tank for 3 months, that appears to be unlikely.
Maybe is was the RBTA, who know.
Yes, I would watch the other fish, just in case your buddy had something undesirable in his system.
Sorry for the loss, its a great fish. I would be really bummed if something happened to one of my Heni's.

do you think the super glue could have done it?
Not sure honestly. You may want to star a thread in the main forum with this question. I do believe a few have useds it, but I'm not a coral guy. :wink:
Is there anything specific I should look out for?
Just watch them in case is was a parasite or somthing from the other system. Probably not, but I would still keep an eye on your other fish.

Super glue is fine, used it for years. I've even squeezed the tube under water, no bad effects. It's a pretty common practice.

Back
Top Bottom