Need SERIOUS help -nudibranch killing my coral what do I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sand polyps have not been opening up and I thought it was cause I had moved them. Nope. Appears that there are numerous nudibranch (eating/killing my polyups)- I am guessing that is what they are. Almost look like little ticks of the saltwater world. The ones that I could see I pulled off of the polyp with tweezers. But they just kept re-appearing. I am also assuming they probably come out in even more numbers after dark.

The question is what do I do now??? How do I get rid of these little pests and save my corals? Tell me what you guys know and what things I can try to rid my tank of these.

Also I noticed some small white colored things that almost look like fleas running around on my rock that has mushrooms on it. Not sure if this is a good or bad thing. 2 of my shrooms where closed up tonight. I am hoping it was due to a PWC that I did however the other 4 shrooms looked great and were open and all that good stuff. But two of them were all closed up and these little whitish flea-looking things were running near the 2 that were closed???

I am in need o some serious help from everybody on the board...

Can you post a pic of what is eating your polyps? The little flea looking things you described are just pods. (no concern)

No man these things are on top of my sand polyups and they are eating them. I saw one drop into a polyup that was open. Polyup reacted by closign itself up and that is what they are all doing. I can't get a picture cause these thigns are so small.

I also put some of the ones that I pulled out with tweezers on my curtain that hangs aroudn the tank- was nto really thinking jsut wanted to get them out and had no cup to put them into. Now I read this article:

http://www.reefpark.co.uk/bb/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=703

And I am scared cause Now I have to get the curtain off and washed along with the flor vacumed up and what not. IT is scarign the crap out of me. Startign to think that SW is nto for me.

I have large heavy duty gloves that go all the way up my arms. I wear them whenever I do anything in the tank not only to protect myself from things in the tank but to protect the tank from me. I also have loads of powder free surgical gloves for when I need to handle smaller items or be more precise. I have small hands and the heavy duty ones are quite large so I feel kind of clumsy wearing them. I have attached links to two products you could consider wearing.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...en_Page-_-Maintenance&subref=AA&N=2004+113166

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...en_Page-_-Maintenance&subref=AA&N=2004+113166

If you can try to post a picture of what these things look like because someone on here may be able to get a positive id for you.

I hate to do this but go to Reefcentral and check out the zooanthid forum. There are pics of nudibrach's that eat zoos there. Anytime you deal with zoo's, gloves are a good idea. If you are allergic to bees and such, they might bother you. The post you mentioned had the guy crush it. This was dumb. Nudi's of this type feed off the zoo and will take on their color as well as there toxin. There is a FW dip remedy on RC that will remove the zoos.

Should not be a huge concern but a nuiscance. There are monti eating nudis as well. It coulbe something else. The ones jave seen pics of have little hairs on their backs and mimic the look of the zoo. They feed off the stalk of the zoo. I don't they go in the polyp.

HTH

Exactly. These things sort of resemble the polyp but they sit at the mouth of the polyp and eat it I am guessing. But this makes the polyp stay in its closed position.

Trust me I know these thigns are what is causing my polyp problems. I wil lgo and look for pictures but I am pretty sure about what they are. If you have a link send it to me.

I also always wear gloves cause I fear the polyp. However what I did that was stupid was I removed some of these nudi's and I rubbed them off of my tweezers unto this piece of velcro that holds my fabric skirt to the tank stand. SO now I have dead and dried nudi's that are there or maybe in the fabric or carpet in this area. SO that scares me cause I don't want to step on one or pick one up on my hand while looking at or workign on the tank- have it break and have toxin get in my system.

I am goign to clean up tonight as best that I can. But the things are so small they will be impossiable to find now that they are dried up and outside of the tank.

On top of that I still have the issue of these things killign my coral inside the tank. What do I do? Can you explain the FW dip method for these?

Back
Top Bottom