New sand sifting sea star had green bump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnny3334

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So i just recently bought a sand sifting sea star from a local petco, and when i was acclimating him i noticed a green sort of bump on his leg, figured oh thats supposed to be there or something. After about a day i noticed it again and it was bigger, after 2 days i noticed the green bump was gone and he had a hole in his leg, any ideas on if it could have been a parasite or something? I have no picture as it is gone now and there is just a small hole in the starfishes leg. Kinda worried if it was a parasite, don't want it affecting my whole tank.

Sand sifting stars have a very high mortality rate in closed systems. If you don't have an established deep sand bed and a large tank, it will slowly starve. These are better left in the ocean. That said, I wouldn't worry too much about the predator. If it was eating the star and it fell off of it's host, it's probably dead. No reason to leave a moving food source IMO.

Back
Top Bottom