saltwater ick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I might suggest total elimination of this parasite might be harder than described. I go under the assumption that there is always a possibility of infection and that fish health is the only safety net that means anything. The ocean is anything but sterile and these fish do fine. The difference is in stress and feeding habits.

Dropping the FOWLR tank salinity to 1.012 for 2 weeks. Fish that got ick are already clearing up, eating well, and active.

Just curious, why 1.01? ICH explodes at 1.09. I would think going that low will be more difficult on the fish when you bring the salinity back up to 1.25. Also, I would recommend 4 weeks to get rid of ICH.

All marine creatures require freshwater just as we do to survive, they just process it differently. Since their bodies are less salty than the water surrounding them, to prevent the loss of needed freshwater they take in seawater, process it to eliminate the salt molecules, and then retain the freshwater to maintain a balance with nature. When the salinity of seawater is lowered, or hyposalinity is applied, it results in a lowering of the osmotic pressure of the water at the same time, thus the related name Osmotic Shock Therapy (OST). Fish and a few other sea creatures can withstand and adjust to this change in pressure, but protozoan (Cryptocaryon/White Spot Disease, and Brooklynella/Clownfish Disease), dinoflagellate (Oodinium/Velvet or Coral Fish Disease), and flat worm (Black Spot Disease) ich organisms cannot. Reduce this necessary pressure, particularly rapidly, and they literally explode! Although delicate corals and invertebrates may not immediately rupture as ich parasites do, these too are marine animals that cannot tolerate exposure to low osmotic pressure, resulting in a rather quick death.

Just curious, why 1.01? ICH explodes at 1.09. I would think going that low will be more difficult on the fish when you bring the salinity back up to 1.25. Also, I would recommend 4 weeks to get rid of ICH.

I wrote this post way to late.

ICH explodes at 1.009. I would highly recommend you dropping your salinity down 3 more points, especially if you are doing it for only 2 weeks. It's recommended that it be done for 4 to 8 weeks. I thought you were dropping it to 1.001 for some reason, now I see that you are only going to 1.012.

Hypo means "lower than normal", and saline/salinity "of or containing salt", therefore hyposalinity in the simpliest of terms is a lower amount of salt contained in seawater than normal. With the salinity level of oceans and seas around the world averaging out at around 1.024 (specific gravity), although lowering the amount of salt in water by a few points might be called hyposalinity, when it comes to saltwater aquariums this means bringing the salt content down to a range of 1.013 to 1.010 (specific gravity) to be effective and truly considered as such.

Back
Top Bottom