Sick Hippo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFreak1961

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! :D
I am over 2 months into my SW aquarium and I am hooked!!
Started out with damsels to cycle it and after 8 wks purchased
yellow and blue tang and of course blue tang has ich already.
I am medicating with kick ich and another antibiotic at this time.
Hope I can keep it alive. Water is fine, temp is fine. Water is showing
slight brown tint today - what is that? Medicine. Everybody else seems
fine and I think they feel sorry for HT. The two tangs are getting along
fine, the cleaner shrimp are really busy with it too. That is so cool to watch.
I have had FW tank for 25 years and wanted to try salt.

Welcome aboard to AA. Let me point out a few mistakes that you made. As far as the damsels to cycle your tank that was a mistake. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/3/1/Cycle-your-salt-tank/Page1.html

As far as adding the two tangs so soon to the start the bioload was too much for the tank. You need to add slowly so your nitrifying bacteria can catch up to your bioload. As far as water is fine let`s post some hard numbers because fine can mean different things to different folks. Also as far as the medication goes you might as well be using snake oil. That stuff does not work. Read these articles and figure out wich is best for you.

An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure: A Quarantine Tank for Everything by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part I by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

Marine Ich/Cryptocaryon irritans - A Discussion of this Parasite and the Treatment Options Available, Part II by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

I`m moving this thread to the sick fish forum.

I have a 36 gallon tank - ph is between 7.7 and 8, nitrates are between 5-10,
ammonia barely a trace. Been treating ich with kick ich -3 more days will be
a 15 day course. Temp runs at 77.7. and HT is showing no change, no better, no worse. Eating good but hiding and getting cleaned a lot. Have not used carbon. I also have a sm yellow tang, royal gramma, striped damsel, blue damsel, choc chip starfish, 2 cleaner shrimp, 5 sm hermits, 1 lg hermit and 4 snails. I didn't put any of this in my tank til after it had run for 6 weeks and numbers were acceptable. Have followed direction of LFS clerk. I have started QT tank 2 weeks ago. Ph is a little above 8 and no ammonia or nitrates yet, still adding biozyme there. I'm new and I would really love for Dori to get well. Should I remove HTang from my tank and put in QT or just wait. Do I need to do a water change or let the ich med work for now. I'm afraid to treat with chemicals and hurt the other marine life - the rest are ok right now and eating good. Feeding frozen mysis, flake and algae sheets. Any suggestions?
I'm still new at this and I'm sorry if I don't post it correctly.

A tang needs a much larger tank, it isn't because of their size only they need to swim and will get stressed if they don't. Stress causes disease!

Your damsels will most likely get very aggressive and start causing stress among your other fish. I know my blue devil is in a tank by itself he is so aggressive, the only thing I could think of putting him in with is a lionfish so he could become dinner.

Before going to the LFS please do your own research they have don't have the time to research every question as soon as it is asked.

Maybe I should put the damsels in the QT tank :) I've heard they are aggressive,
mine are small and don't seem mean (right now) Don't bother the tang at all. I was told they were good to start your tank (after you have cycled it a few wks) HT will be hard to get rid of - what have i done to the poor thing:( I feel awful.
What meds do you advise? I have a protein skimmer also, wonder if that needs
to be turned off.

If you have only 3 more days in your current ich treatment with "Kick ich", what makes you want to now put the HT in a QT?

I have never had to deal with ich in a SW, hopefully someone with the answers will come along.

I guess to remove it from the others so I won't lose them ALL?
It is contagious, right? The blue damsel is scratching a little.
Yellow Tang shows no signs.
I was looking for a better treatment is anyone has any ideas
since kick ich is no better than snake oil.

I was looking for a better treatment is anyone has any ideas
since kick ich is no better than snake oil.

I posted a few links that gives you several options. You`ll find nothing better. Those are excellent articles on the parasite and treatment.

Back
Top Bottom