Slime on tang that looks like ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My powder brown tand showed up with what looks like ich but it isn't really spots. It's like sheets of slime that are left over. I first saw him iy looked like a veil of slime.

Any clues? I hope the pics loaded ok. First time trying that. I do have a LT plate coral that's a pretty slimy beast. Could that be it?

How long have you had the tang and what was the last fish/item added and how long ago? Do you see any salt & pepper specs on the fish, not really spots or just the film?

Cheers
Steve

Had him for about 3-4 weeks. No salt/pepper specs, just film that has dissipated (coagulated) into, what looks like spots but is really the remains of the film. One spot is like a chunk of the remaining film - about 1/8" square. Behaves perfectly healthy. Eats, swims around fine, grazes fine, etc.

Also, how do I get the pics up here? Thanks all.

Sorry Steve, I miss answered you. My last addition was a scooter blenny and a ornate wrasse (same time). The scooter expired in about four days. He was a tiny fellow. Now, the wrasse was a killer specimen about 2-2.5". He buried himself in the sand, came out once or twice and my 1" long six-line wrasse chased him back under the sand - can you believe that? Haven't seen him since!

My tang still has the debris on him but it's slowly falling off and there's still no chang to his behavior - seems fine :D

As for the pics, I could swear that's what I did. When I hit "preview", I got nothing. I could call it user error but I couldn't imagine that! :wink: Maybe I'll try reposting them again.

runway1 said:
My last addition was a scooter blenny and a ornate wrasse (same time). The scooter expired in about four days. He was a tiny fellow. Now, the wrasse was a killer specimen about 2-2.5". He buried himself in the sand, came out once or twice and my 1" long six-line wrasse chased him back under the sand - can you believe that? Haven't seen him since!
Yes, I do. The wrasse is pretty much a forgone addition but what species of ornate? I'm assuming not a Thalassoma pavo since it buried itself but a Halichoeres ornatissimus or Macropharyngodon ornatus? Doesn't make much difference, just curious.

Still an important missing piece... How long ago where they added :?:

My tang still has the debris on him but it's slowly falling off and there's still no chang to his behavior - seems fine :D
Most likely one of the last fish added did carry in something but I have doubts it's velvet but that is dependant on when the last two where added. The tang would not have lasted this long if velvet. Still a possibility as is Uronema & Brooklynella. The kicker here is each have different "ideal" treatments. Do you see any lesions/red marks anywhere or just the slimeyness?

As for the pics, I could swear that's what I did. When I hit "preview", I got nothing. I could call it user error but I couldn't imagine that! :wink: Maybe I'll try reposting them again.
Once you've "attatched" the image you will either see an error at the top of the post or you will see nothing. If successful, you will not see it in the preview post. It will only be visible once you hit the post button.

Cheers
Steve

Not sure of the exact species or Ornate. The lfs isn't either - surprise? Come to think of it, the wrasse and blenny were added just 3-4 days before my tang showed this "slime". Like a shear curtain thrown over it.

No lesions BUT, last night, a strange ball or blister appeared directly under his top lip :!: Man, this guy just can't get straight. Still, with this "marble" under hi lip, he still behaves ok, so far.

That's my frustration on the pics. I kept hitting "preview" and saw nothing. So, I figured i wasn't getting them up and never hit the post button. Thanks, I'll try again. What's up with that blister :?: :?

If it's an actual blister I would suspect Uronema possibley. If more like a wart (hard texture) it would be Lympho but that would not explain the excess slime. You still have not indicated how long you've had the blenny?

Is the tang rubbing that area particularly?

Cheers
Steve

The blenny lasted about 1 week. I had him for about 1 week. The tang's slime showed up about 4 days after I introduced the blenny and wrasse.

Death of the blenny I attribute to a very small and young specimen that just was over stressed. The 2.5" wrasse, as I mentioned, was somehow bullied into the sand by my 1" 6-line for days until he showed up dead as well. ~Four days after their intro, I noticed the slime. Hope I've been more clear :oops: now

One more question, sorry. How long have you had the chromis and what other fish do you have besides the tang?

Cheers
Steve

The 3 chromis have been in there for about 2 months. The only other fish is a 6-line wrasse about 1.5" long for about a month now. Corals are doing very well (birdsnest, mushrooms, zoos, millepora, montipora, toadstool, LT plate).

As for my tang. I haven't seen him anywhere for a day. I think he's perished behind a rock somewhere. I noticed I have a high SG (1.028). Could this have contributed?

The high SG wouldn't do this unless your hydrometer was reporting incorrectly and it's actually much higher. If you use a refractometer, then it would not be the cause. You should reduce it down to 1.025 though.

My suspicion here is you introduced Uronema to the tank some time ago and all subsequent additions are falling prey. I would strongly urge you to QT the remaining Chromis, sixline and tang if you still have it and treat with nitrofuazone @ 30mg/gal for 5 days. Leave the main fallow for at least 3 weeks to allow the problem to die out.

If it is velvet (which I doubt), it will become more evident once the fish are in the QT. If so, you will need to treat with a copper based med (Cupramine preferabley) and extend the fallow period in the main to about 5 weeks.

Cheers
Steve

Considering my tank only has the remaining chromis and 6-line (I really think my tang is done. Being such a grazer, I would have seen him by now.), Can I just treat the main with nitrofuazone?

What is nitrofuazone and what does it do? Thanks, Steve.

P.S. Yes, I use a refractometer.

I wouldn't suspect the salinity as being part of the issue. 37 ppt is not going to create this kind of problem. Still, it should be brought down to 35 ppt for the health of inverts and avoid some nasty algae issues.

Nitrofurazone is an anti biotic that has proven effective against Uronema, except in advanced stages. It cannot be dosed in the main tank as it will kill off the biofilter and you'll end up needing to recycle the tank. If the nitrofuazone isn't effctive, you'll need to perform a series of SW formalin baths which would also require the need for a QT. Considering your remaining fish, the antibiotic should show possitive results.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom