Yellow Tang with deteriorating fins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tucrew

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a Yellow Tang that for about 8 months, and a week ago its fins began to deteriorate. There is a slight brownish color to the top of them. Any clues.

It could be from water quality..typically high ammonia, or hi pH. Do you have a test kit you can use to help you determine where the source is?

Regards,

Mike

It almost sounds like a viral or bacterial problem. I think first order of bussiness is couple of PWC.

I have tested the water and it falls well into my usual perimeters. The salinity is a little high, 1.02, but everything I read tells you to increase it for illnesses.

The salinity is a little high, 1.02

Is 1.02 correct on your reading? That seems a little low to me. Should read between 1.023 and 1.025.

Also, if it is viral, I would soak the food in Selcon to enhance the intake of vitamins needed for repair.

Mike

I agree with the PWC's. I have a YT as well, and awhile back, I got laxed on PWC's, I noticed this deterioration as well. I strated back with the PWC's and it resulted in the YT having Beautiful fins again... Is it from the PWC's not being done? I don't know for sure, however, when I got back to better husbandry, it was resolved.

Back
Top Bottom