A stringy growth from a fish - ich? Parasite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RDizzle

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, could anybody help identify if this is a problem i can treat?
I bought a molly and introduced it to my community tank but I noticed a few days after, that something stringy was coming out of him nearby his eye. I returned him but now i notice the same with one of my neon tetras ?
Should i be concerned? Should i treat the tank &fish? Do i have a parasite findig hosts?
Help please, i just don't the others become affected by this and eventually die.
I'll attach a screenshot of what i recorded.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201206-105039_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-105039_Video Player.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screenshot_20201206-104927_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-104927_Video Player.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20201206-105120_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206-105120_Video Player.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 38
Like Charlie said, it’s likely anchor worm. Anchor worm can be treated and usually you can find a treatment at your local fish store. It can spread since it is a parasite so if you have any way of removing or separating the infected fish then I’d highly recommend doing it so it doesn’t spread any more. Unfortunately, the fish that already has it is likely not going to make it, but treatment can help prevent the spread to other fish. Let me know if you need any more help or have any other questions.

Hey RDizzle,

You can use something like Tetracare all in one, I’m not super familiar with that one though. I would try to find one that is specifically formulated to kill anchor worm in its larval stage unless that says that it can be used for anchor worm. That being said, a treatment is a good idea and necessary so that others don’t get infected too

And I've used Microbe-lift lice and anchor worm treatment with good results. The only thing with that one is you can't treat a tank containing any sort of invertebrates like snails or shrimp etc

Back
Top Bottom