Aclimating Moors from hospital tank (QT), back to DT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Limpet

Aquarium Advice Addict
Need help re-acclimating Moors from QT, back to DT

In the next 24 hrs, I'm returning my 2 Moors from a medical treatment back to their home. The QT is loaded with salt, meds and a slighly elevated ammo level the past 7 days.

I'm concerened about shocking them when they go back and wanted to find out if there's an established or recommended procedure someone can help me with.

TIA

Sent from my Epic 4G

Im only guessing but I would suggest taking fish out with some water from QT tank, then add some of your regular tank water, hour later add more regular tank water and so on until you think it diluted enough over a period of time, that it wont be that much of a shock anymore.

GL

it has worked with my betta he was attacked and same deal i had a load of salt and melafix in the water would bag him and put him back in his regular home like you just bought a new fish add water every half hour or watever till its time to put him back home...keep in mind this worked fin but on my betta

How much salt you have in the hospital? Ideally, you want to change the level less than 0.1% (or 0.05%) per day. So if you are coming form high salt level, it would be better to bring the salt down a bit with a few daily pwc's. It won't hurt the fish to stay in QT a few extra day.

The safest way to acclimatize new fish is a drip setup. Basically, you want to mix your tank water to the new fish water slowly (like Ryan said), but instead of doing it manually, you set up a drip. <Less work, and much less temptation to rush things.>

You would take the fish from QT & put it in a smallish container (filled with the original water). <1/2 gal or so is good.> You put that in a big bucket (or the sink) so you don't make a mess when the water in the container overflows. Next, you set up a siphon with an airline (or other small) tubing. You use that to drip water from the tank into the container. You let the container overflow, so you are gradually diluting the "original" water with your tank water. After you have siphoned in 2 or 3x the volume of the container, the water in there is like that of your tank & you are ready to move the fish to your display.

You want the drip to run slow, aiming to do the drip over 1 hr or so. I control the drip rate by using binder clips on the tubing. Some just tie a loose knot at the end & tighten or loosen the knot to control the flow.

jsoong said:
How much salt you have in the hospital? Ideally, you want to change the level less than 0.1% (or 0.05%) per day. So if you are coming form high salt level, it would be better to bring the salt down a bit with a few daily pwc's. It won't hurt the fish to stay in QT a few extra day.

The safest way to acclimatize new fish is a drip setup. Basically, you want to mix your tank water to the new fish water slowly (like Ryan said), but instead of doing it manually, you set up a drip. <Less work, and much less temptation to rush things.>

You would take the fish from QT & put it in a smallish container (filled with the original water). <1/2 gal or so is good.> You put that in a big bucket (or the sink) so you don't make a mess when the water in the container overflows. Next, you set up a siphon with an airline (or other small) tubing. You use that to drip water from the tank into the container. You let the container overflow, so you are gradually diluting the "original" water with your tank water. After you have siphoned in 2 or 3x the volume of the container, the water in there is like that of your tank & you are ready to move the fish to your display.

You want the drip to run slow, aiming to do the drip over 1 hr or so. I control the drip rate by using binder clips on the tubing. Some just tie a loose knot at the end & tighten or loosen the knot to control the flow.

I've been dosing salt at 1 tablespoon per 5 gals every other day with a 1/3 PWC and Furan-2. The program you laid out is just the expert advice I needed :D.

I just PM'd you, so please disregard.

Many Thanks!

deffinatly i good idea i like the drip plan hopefully my fish stay healthy and i never have to do it but you know how that goes and good luck with your moor i know i miss mine

ryan-peddle said:
just looking for an update on how your moore did in the transfer

Thanks Ryan! Doing PWC's in the QT. For the last couple days and tomorrow I'll be doing the xfer. I'll post then.

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium

Acclimation process in full swing. AC & DC are a bit PO'd being in the 2-1/2 but they'll get over it lol. The system Jsoong mapped out is great.

Thanks J!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110323_165856.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110323_165856.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 77
  • ForumRunner_20110323_165917.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110323_165917.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 75
ryan-peddle said:
defiantly looks like a good idea

Yep, worked perfect and was easy.

Gonna do it every time I add or move fish from now on. Best part is, I didn't drink anytank water starting the syphon lol.

ryan-peddle said:
good glad to hear i was inspired to get myself a new black moor cause we missed our old guy

Thanks Ryan, yeah they're great. So much personality and attitude (well my big guy anyway lol). The little fancy fantail was snuggling up to them, he was happy that they were back home :D.

Great information to know should I ever need to do this. Glad you guy is back home and happy :)

One question, while the container with the fish in it is overflowing, how does the fish not fall out as well?? Why dont I see the fish in your bucket in the sink picture?? what is that white stuff?

ok maybe more than one question, LOL

Tasha said:
Great information to know should I ever need to do this. Glad you guy is back home and happy :)

One question, while the container with the fish in it is overflowing, how does the fish not fall out as well?? Why dont I see the fish in your bucket in the sink picture?? what is that white stuff?

ok maybe more than one question, LOL

Yes, it worked extremely well. It's a 2 1/2g bucket and they just hung out in the bottom. The flow is very slow so, which is what you want.

They're Black Moors, in a black bucket so they were in cammo :D. White stuff was most likey a reflection from the flash, that bucket (and many others) is a dedicated aquarim bucket. Notice on the 5g HD bucket it says "fish water only" lol.

Back
Top Bottom