Advice needed pls!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coops

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi!
First post some background info ive kept multiple bettas and guppies for years small tanks never any issues or illness.This is first time having trouble. I Purchased a 130 Litre has single young angel fish and 20 neon tetra. Sand substrate and driftwood. Tank has been set up 2 months up untill now no issues regularly change 10 % water (4/5 days) and test with API masters kit, results always same (not cycled yet)
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I had male and female guppies in separate 40 litres decided to combine in new 70 litre. I used old gravel from both tanks and filter media. After a week of set up purchased 4 new female to get ratio 8 female 4 male. plus moved betta in.
Only tested with dip strips before medication so cant check water perimeters.
Stupidly i did not quarantine (i know told myself off and now paying price) i inspected looked fine, an hour after introduced to tank i noticed one had white fluff above lip. Took out into hospital tank. On LFS advice treated her and main tank with aqua one fungus & finrot. Next day quarantined fish died and all guppies in 70 L had white dots. Went back to LFS they said to do big water change use Blue planet multicure , aquarium salt and increase temperature. Did this over next day lost 2 more and one currently looks like will die but all white spots have gone. Throughout this betta was in perfect health tonight noticed just sat at bottom took out to hospital tank has bad fin rot. Gave methylene blue dip.
Last night noticed a neon in 130 L had white dots! I did not want to ruin main tank so again on LFS advice took all neon out in hospital tank doing same treatment as with guppies so far white dots still present.
Im guessing i didnt wash hands well enough and somehow passed from one tank to the other.
Should i be doing anything else?
How long do i keep neons out? Will angel be ok alone?

Thanks in advance any info would be great feeling pretty useless just watching them die

I don’t have as much experience as some in the medical side of fish, but I can tell you to leave the neons in the quarantine tank for a good amount of time. Make sure the current effects like the white spots have gone down and then do some water changes on that tank. Maybe wait a few more days and then if nothing happens I would assume that they’re ready to go back in. As far as the angelfish if he and the neons were in the same tank there’s a good chance he could get it, but don’t quote me on it. Believe me most of us have been in similar situations or problem and it sucks to be helpless beyond the medication and other rules to follow. I hope I helped a little bit but I hope someone more experienced in this kind of problem comes along and can be more helpful than I was.

Update

Hi!
First post some background info ive kept multiple bettas and guppies for years small tanks never any issues or illness.This is first time having trouble. I Purchased a 130 Litre has single young angel fish and 20 neon tetra. Sand substrate and driftwood. Tank has been set up 2 months up untill now no issues regularly change 10 % water (4/5 days) and test with API masters kit, results always same (not cycled yet)
PH 6.8
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
I had male and female guppies in separate 40 litres decided to combine in new 70 litre. I used old gravel from both tanks and filter media. After a week of set up purchased 4 new female to get ratio 8 female 4 male. plus moved betta in.
Only tested with dip strips before medication so cant check water perimeters.
Stupidly i did not quarantine (i know told myself off and now paying price) i inspected looked fine, an hour after introduced to tank i noticed one had white fluff above lip. Took out into hospital tank. On LFS advice treated her and main tank with aqua one fungus & finrot. Next day quarantined fish died and all guppies in 70 L had white dots. Went back to LFS they said to do big water change use Blue planet multicure , aquarium salt and increase temperature. Did this over next day lost 2 more and one currently looks like will die but all white spots have gone. Throughout this betta was in perfect health tonight noticed just sat at bottom took out to hospital tank has bad fin rot. Gave methylene blue dip.
Last night noticed a neon in 130 L had white dots! I did not want to ruin main tank so again on LFS advice took all neon out in hospital tank doing same treatment as with guppies so far white dots still present.
Im guessing i didnt wash hands well enough and somehow passed from one tank to the other.
Should i be doing anything else?
How long do i keep neons out? Will angel be ok alone?

Thanks in advance any info would be great feeling pretty useless just watching them die

update
Betta fin rot looks worse still in hospital tank daily methylene blue dips
Lost another guppy
Lost 8 neon, 2 more showed white dots they still surviving
Medicine doesn't seem to be working remaining neon are acting weird

update
Betta fin rot looks worse still in hospital tank daily methylene blue dips
Lost another guppy
Lost 8 neon, 2 more showed white dots they still surviving
Medicine doesn't seem to be working remaining neon are acting weird

2nd update
Have 3 guppies left who are acting strange so probably will die like the rest
Betta died
All neons died
Have no idea what happened so if anyone could still answer for future info

Maybe this will help. It's hard to diagnose illness at times, even if your there. Often I blindly throw parasitic, fungal and bacterial medications at fish because I can see they have an illness but it's impossible to diagnose by sight. Don't get discouraged. Make sure your tank is cycled properly and keep going. We've all lost fish, it's frustrating and costly but if it was boring keeping fish in a small glass box, the hobby would quickly be disinteresting
https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/10-diseases/

For ich I use and have had great results with, Hikari ich-x and Kordon rid ich plus. It's easy to move it from one tank to another, with a net, wet hands. Etc. It only takes 1 drop off water to infect another tank with illness like that

Thanks!

Thanks for the replies feels so much better confirming (even though i know) im not the only one whos just committed a mass murder of all my fish ??*♀️
Lesson definitely learnt and couldn't agree more would become very boring if was easy!

Back
Top Bottom