Albino cory with no eyes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

water12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright do I finally got some Cory's that I've even wanting for a while today and it wasn't until I got home that I realized one of them has no eyes! He's swimming around and looks as healthy as the others, just bumping into things, except for being slightly paler then the others. I was wondering if I should take him back to the lfs or if he'll be just fine? I feel so bad for it :(

I kept a sick one I got from petsmart about 2 months ago. I still don't know if I should have. I was afraid he would just die if I took him back. He now lives in a hospital tank w a tetra. I would take him back unless u r already too attached. :)

I'm not a really attached to it yet, but i do feel like it'd have a much better chance in my aquarium than if i took it back. It eats plenty when i feed them all (i did make sure it found food). The most concern I have is that it'd plow right into a rock that i have in the middle of the tank, and it's already done that once when the bubble wand i have caught it and it tried getting away. I'm so torn on what to do! :(

Might just be your favorite fish... If he's not sick. That would be my only concern. I already put mine back in the main tank once until someone said I should take him back out. I did consider taking him back, but I would have spent $5 on gas, which is how much he cost. Can u post a pic?

Yeah I live almost 30 min away from where I got him, so it's always a special trip to the lfs :) I think I am starting to grow fond of him (I believe it's a him, too tiny to tell for sure though!) I caught
myself cheering him on when he tried darting to the surface and coming up short, it took him probably 20 tried until he figured out it was just a little farther then he'd been going lol. I'll try posting a pic, they move so quick never staying still it'll be hard getting a good one.

Here's the best I could get, you can see where the socket is, it doesn't look infected so I'm thinking he was born like that. I'll try taking better pictures in the morning, he was all the way at the back of the tank

Attachments

• image-1245512875.jpg
    image-1245512875.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2085188173.jpg
    image-2085188173.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 121
  • image-2042606643.jpg
    image-2042606643.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 113
He's actually been doing great so far, the other 2 corys have started to hang around the area he's in instead of going off by themselves. He's eating plenty too. Oh and my friends came up with the name Stevie wonder lol, I think it fits :)

personally i would..

A.. move the rock he keeps on head butting.
B.. change his name to 'Alco"cos they are blind as well :)

I would move the rock but it takes up the center of my tank lol but good news is that he's starting to dodge things when moving around, so hopefully if I don't change anything up then he won't slam into it...keeping my fingers crossed :)
And Alcos, huh? I'll have I think on that one...very nice lol

Blind animals learn their territories by touch, eventually he should have your tank scoped out after he brushes into things a lot.

I say keep him.I have a tank full of eyeless fish, but Haven't had an eyeless cory Yet.

Yeah I'm definitely going to keep him unless something in the next 10 days or so goes wrong. He's probably going to turn into my little "baby", I'll always check on him first and make sure he eats good :)

Back
Top Bottom