Angelfish Being Chased

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caligulasAquarium

Aquarium Advice Activist
Not sure if it's the right forum.

I brought home another angelfish, not much smaller than my elder angelfish. The larger one chased the newcomer almost 24/7, and didn't even bother to eat, and just chased her when I fed them. I've rearranged the decorations, but that doesn't seen to help. I can't afford to buy new plants right away, but if needed, I can put my bamboo back in. I have a driftwood cave built, and my marbled/koi angelfish is constantly chased in and out of it. Her fins already have pretty bad fin nipping. I'd return her, but the LFS doesn't do refunds for fish. What should I do now?

Not sure if it's the right forum.

I brought home another angelfish, not much smaller than my elder angelfish. The larger one chased the newcomer almost 24/7, and didn't even bother to eat, and just chased her when I fed them. I've rearranged the decorations, but that doesn't seen to help. I can't afford to buy new plants right away, but if needed, I can put my bamboo back in. I have a driftwood cave built, and my marbled/koi angelfish is constantly chased in and out of it. Her fins already have pretty bad fin nipping. I'd return her, but the LFS doesn't do refunds for fish. What should I do now?

Can you put a barrier in between them. Like the plastic cross stitch panels used for crafts, or buy a divider.

Also make sure your water parameters are good. I have seen fish get extra cranky when they are out of wack - Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates, kind of odd I know. PWC to correct any issues is best.

If you have a big net you can catch him in the net to give him a little time out each time he starts chasing the little one.

One of the keepers here uses that technique on naughty fish. You can do a bigger change in the tank too. Remove the aggressor change the tank around like backward. Try to make a line of sight block. Maybe hang plants with string across the top of the tank down as a last option till you can get more plants or a divider. Then put him back into a totally different tank.

Good luck.

Can you put a barrier in between them. Like the plastic cross stitch panels used for crafts, or buy a divider.

Also make sure your water parameters are good. I have seen fish get extra cranky when they are out of wack - Ammonia, Nitrites or Nitrates, kind of odd I know. PWC to correct any issues is best.

If you have a big net you can catch him in the net to give him a little time out each time he starts chasing the little one.

One of the keepers here uses that technique on naughty fish. You can do a bigger change in the tank too. Remove the aggressor change the tank around like backward. Try to make a line of sight block. Maybe hang plants with string across the top of the tank down as a last option till you can get more plants or a divider. Then put him back into a totally different tank.

Good luck.

I'm going to ask my dad if I can either cut up an old plastic box or something to get a divider. My water levels are okay, Nitrites to be specific. I've taken the DB angel out into a bucket for 15 so minutes while rearranging the tank with the marbled/koi swimmin around. DB angel seems to ignore that and continued to chase the marbled/koi.
If all else fails, I'll keep a divider in, and depends on which way it goes, I may keep the angel or resell it.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom