Angelfish Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A week or so ago my angelfish got pretty badly nipped up by another fish. I removed the aggressive fish and shes in a 20g with a Black Skirt while they wait for there 50g to cycle. Well last night when I got home from being away all day I noticed she was swimming upside down. When I turned the hood lights on this morning she was swimming at the surface on her side and has been swimming upside down most of the day. So does she have a swim bladder issue of some sort or do you think its because of her loss of finnage??

I am really sorry to hear about your fish. At a glance, my first guess is that it is some issue besides the nipping. Does she have a bloated appearance at all? How long have you had her? What are the parameters of the tank?
I am a little confused, so is the nipped angel in the 20g with the skirt tetra or is the aggressive fish in the 20g? Which tank is the angel in?

absolutangel04 said:
I am really sorry to hear about your fish. At a glance, my first guess is that it is some issue besides the nipping. Does she have a bloated appearance at all? How long have you had her? What are the parameters of the tank?
I am a little confused, so is the nipped angel in the 20g with the skirt tetra or is the aggressive fish in the 20g? Which tank is the angel in?
Sorry about the confusion! She is in the 20g with BST and the aggressive fish is in my 10g qt/hospital. Hmm, I guess she could be a little bloated. Hard to tell right now. I'll go test my water, forgot about that. Here is a picture of her if it helps.

ForumRunner_20120225_145131.jpg

The nipping happened over 2 days. I'm now starting to wonder if it was ever really nipping or if it was the cause of something else. This will be the 6th angel I've killed :( They always die on me, last year I had 2 angels die with the same symptoms (minus fin nipping) so I'd love to figure out what it is.

*edit* She hasn't been eating for the last 3 days.

Poor thing !!

Looks like fin rot maybe ? The fins are totally gone, which fish is the one that you suspect was the agressor?

It looks a little like fin/tail rot to me too. Is it upside down in the picture?

Ok. I was asking about the bloating because swim bladder issues are often accompanied by a bloated look where one side is more bloated than the other. IMO, the body type of an angel makes it difficult to distinguish this though.
The fins look pretty damaged, so either your other fish destroyed the fins, or else there is some fin rot present. In this case, there could honestly be any number of things wrong, but her being upside down is not a good sign at all and my guess is that the issue is quite serious.
How big is she? How long have you had her? Baby angels are notoriously sensitive but get hardier once they get some size on them IMO. Did you get the other angels that died at the same place as this one?
Can you measure the water parameters?
I am sorry to say, but I don't know if she can be saved. Hopefully she pulls through, but I think she has more going on than just some fin damage.

Her fins were pretty badly nipped up and once they started to grow back they just started fraying. You should see her today, there is absolutely nothing left.

Well I've had her for around 4 months. Shes probably 3", can't measure her because shes laying sideways right now. She is much livelier today, she even darted across half of the tank right side up but as soon as she slowed down she floated to the surface. Shes been wiggling around trying to swim. I think I'm going to- Ah she just swam across the tank again!!!!! But anyways, yes all my angels are from the same place. I would've stopped buying from them long ago but on more then one occasion my mom has come home from an appointment, angelfish in hand.

I really have no idea what I should do with her, its terrible watching her struggle around.

0 Ammo, 0 Nitrites, 40 Nitrates. Thats with my API test kit. I have 20ppm trates in my tap water hence why my nitrates are on the high side.

GuppyLover said:
0 Ammo, 0 Nitrites, 40 Nitrates. Thats with my API test kit. I have 20ppm trates in my tap water hence why my nitrates are on the high side.

If you have another tank (and a cycled filter) I will move the Angel to be alone with clean water, just to try to save him. If not my suggestion is to euthanize him the best possible way.

ejaramillo01 said:
If you have another tank (and a cycled filter) I will move the Angel to be alone with clean water, just to try to save him. If not my suggestion is to euthanize him the best possible way.

I do, but the aggressive fish is in there. Maybe I can switch them out. I have a bridal shower I need to leave for in a half hour so I'll have to figure out a game plan when I get back. Can I even try to save her when I don't even know whats wrong with her? Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

OK. Since you have had her for a bit and she is decently sized, I don't think the issue is bad stock. 40 nitrates is a bit high, but that alone shouldn't be causing all this. To keep the nitrates down some, I suggest adding more plants to your set-up.
She does have fin rot, but I still think there is more going on. Its possible that after she was nipped she got a bacterial infection of some sort that went deeper than just her fins. Thats my current best guess.
This is totally up you, I am just saying that if it was me, I would probably put her to sleep. It sounds like she is in very rough shape and I believe you said she isn't eating. My bets advice for meds to help her out would be melafix or pimafix. It sounds like the fin rot is very aggressive though so those meds may not help since they both only for mild infections.

Well I've given her a week to see if there were any improvements and, as much as it breaks my heart, I've decided it's best to euthanize her. I'm thinking of taking the clove oil route. I'll go do some research on it and probably do it tomorrow.

GuppyLover said:
Well I've given her a week to see if there were any improvements and, as much as it breaks my heart, I've decided it's best to euthanize her. I'm thinking of taking the clove oil route. I'll go do some research on it and probably do it tomorrow.

Sorry to hear, but looks to be the best for her at this point.

She actually just ate. First time since shes been sick. Ugh, she has to make this hard for me :(

I dont know what to do now. I just caught her and put her in the bucket I plan on euthanizing her in tomorrow. She was super hard to catch and kept splashing me, once I got her in the bucket she was zooming around like a totally new fish. She does the occasional upside down flip but other then that shes acting normal. Should I plan on euthanizing her or give her a chance in her own tank?? I might be able to stick a big rubbermade tub in the fish room with daily water changes (filter isn't an option, to much flow) and see how she does.

I dont know what to do now. I just caught her and put her in the bucket I plan on euthanizing her in tomorrow. She was super hard to catch and kept splashing me, once I got her in the bucket she was zooming around like a totally new fish. She does the occasional upside down flip but other then that shes acting normal. Should I plan on euthanizing her or give her a chance in her own tank?? I might be able to stick a big rubbermade tub in the fish room with daily water changes (filter isn't an option, to much flow) and see how she does.
Its totally up to you what you want to try. Its hard for us to advise you about that because you are the one who can see her and see what her quality of life is.
If you think there is a chance she could do a little better in her own tank, go ahead and try it.
Remember that fish, similar to mammals, have adrenaline responses.

absolutangel04 said:
Its totally up to you what you want to try. Its hard for us to advise you about that because you are the one who can see her and see what her quality of life is.
If you think there is a chance she could do a little better in her own tank, go ahead and try it.
Remember that fish, similar to mammals, have adrenaline responses.

Its just that I'm worried I'm keeping her alive for me, instead of for her. Shes the sweetest fish, lets you 'pet' her and eats out of the palm of your hand.

3 days. Giving her 3 days. If she acts better in the tub then the breeder net I had her in I'll see if I can steal my cousin's 20 long. Not ideal but better then an 8g tub. If not I'll euthanize. Cross your fingers for her.

Ok. I will cross my fingers for her. I hope she can pull through.
I am not very good at deciding when to euthanize fish either honestly. I know it can be a very hard choice, especially with a fish who is personable and you have had for awhile and are attached to.

absolutangel04 said:
Ok. I will cross my fingers for her. I hope she can pull through.
I am not very good at deciding when to euthanize fish either honestly. I know it can be a very hard choice, especially with a fish who is personable and you have had for awhile and are attached to.

This is my first possible euthanization. Never had to really consider it before. I just don't want to do it unless I am 150% sure there was absolutely nothing else I could do to help her.

Back
Top Bottom