Another Ick question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neilanh

Sliced Bread
I'm treating a boesmani rainbow for ick in a QT. I first started raising the temp on the 16th, and got above 85° on the 20th. Since then, the tank has been holding at 87° since last wednesday. She is progressively getting more and more spots, and now it looks like it's in the gills.

While I know the chances of survival for ich, my question is more about the timeline I could expect. At the same time, I've been treating for Ich in my main tank, which followed nearabouts the same timeline as the above as well. As of 2 days ago, I show no more signs of ich in the main tank, however the QT tank appears to still be getting worse.

I know the heat accelerates things, and I expected everyone to get worse before they got better. I saw the main tank get worse and then go "over the hill" towards getting better rapidly. Why is this not occuring in the QT tank as well?

One tidbit is that originally there were 2 fish in the QT. THis one, and the one I believe brought in the ich. The one I think brought it in didn't survive, but was in the tank for several days at the beginning. Because of that, is the infestation of ich worse in this tank, and that's why it seems to be going so much slower?

In addition, this rainbow was originally in QT for another reason, in which for a week during this I was treating with Pimafix. The fact that she had something else at the same time could be indicative of a weakened system, making her more susceptible as well. The original disease has cleared up after a week on the pima and mela fix.

Thanks for any advice/speculation/experiences you can share. She's been doing well despite the ich, but today she's not looking so good.

Try another thermometer in the qt. 2 degrees is the difference between an ich bonanza and a wiping them out. I always crank up to 88 to be safe.

I did, checked it on 2 thermometers.

When I got home today, she only had 1 spot left, so she's doing better!!!

Back
Top Bottom