Best antibiotic for fin damage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alyxx

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I came home from work to find a bit of a disaster in my divided betta tank. The female had jumped the barrier and ripped up my male's fins pretty badly. He barely has tail fins left. I moved the girl and changed all the water in his tank again, just to ensure he has the cleanest water possible, and I added a little bit of salt (predissolved of course) and a few drops of melafix. I am heading to my LFS in a few minutes but I was wondering if anyone here has any recommendations for a good antibiotic to prevent any secondary infections.

You are exactly on target with your treatment. Large frequent water changes, and melafix will greatly help regrow your Bettas finnage. Melafix is basically useless as a medication, but it does help with tissue regeneration. If you can find a water conditioner with aloe vera in it that will help some to. Regeneration will take a while but all fins should regrow.

Yeah, the lady at my store said the same thing. I'm going to see how he does with what I'm doing, but I'm keeping an eye out for any sign of infection. She didn't get flesh, but it's really close, so I'm just worried about secondary infection. I may pick up some marycin tomorrow anyway just to have it on hand should something crop up.

Sounds like a good plan!! Just hate using meds unless it's a last resort thing.
Those ladies are mean!!.LOL

Sadly, I came home from work to find that Dante didn't make it through the day.

Thats to bad:( We have all lost fish at one point in time. As long as we learn from it, it's not a total loss!!

Hi Alyxx,

Sorry about your fish. It usually works the other way: the male betta attacks the female. That goes to show, fish don't read books...

Anyway, if I were to experience a similar situation, I would bump the temp up to 80 and treat with Indian almond leaves. A little salt does wonders as well.

David

I did treat with indian almond leaves, actually. Well, I always have some in my betta tanks anyway. He was a little on the small and fragile side to begin with, though, and i never once saw him flare at a female or even a mirror. When I bought him I didn't think he would make it through the night. He was laying on the bottom of a filthy cup in walmart, and I had to spend a few days nursing him back to health. Which is why I named him Dante, he went through hell and back. But the female pretty much destroyed his anal fin and tail, almost to the flesh. I knew it was a slim chance he would recover.

The best treatment for ripped fins is clean water, regular large water changes, and maybe a little bit of salt. Treating with anitbiotics without causing is bad practice for a number of reasons.

Also, Melafix has been known to be toxic to fish with a labyrinth organ, so I recommend skipping that all together.

Back
Top Bottom