Betta with dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

livingdeadpaula

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm pretty sure my little betta, Ziggy, has dropsy. I woke up this morning and his belly was swollen, but he seemed to be his usual self, otherwise (he swam up to surface when I came near the tank). Now, he's laying on the floor, sideways. He moves occasionally, and he's breathing pretty hard. It looks as if the "pineconing" might have begun (hard to tell), but it doesn't look extreme.

I can't stand to see him like this.

I know dropsy's pretty harsh...but is there anything I can do? Any medication? The swelling practically happened overnight.

Thanks guys =(

-Paula

Awww, sorry to hear that. If he will eat, try feeding him pea pieces - Microwave some frozen peas on high for 4 or so minutes. Cool, peel the skin and throw away. Cut the "meat" of the pea into small pieces about the size of his regular food. If he eats some pea pieces, then don't feed him tomorrow - maybe that will give the bloat some time to clear.

You could also try epsom salt to draw out the swelling. Use 1/8 teaspoon at first per one gallon, and then tomorrow add another 1/8 teaspoon.

If this has no effect over a few days, try an antibiotic in the water. It may not help but I would go ahead and try.

Too late..

I was literally about to leave the house to pick up some peas at Target, when I noticed he was gone. It's mind boggling...he was floating around near the surface to get air just 20 minutes ago.

Thanks so much for your advice, though. You're always very helpful.

I'm so sorry :cry: the poor little guy.

At least it was fairly quick - one of my bettas was really swollen for 10 days. He was active, though, until the last day. I was probably in more misery than he was. It was terrible to look at him like that.

You're absolutely right...there's nothing worse than sitting around knowing he's in misery, and you can't help :( So I am thankful it was speedy for him in that respect. He's burried now, hanging out with all the other fighting fish in betta heaven.

Thanks again :(

Back
Top Bottom