i think my betta fish has dropsy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaiMero

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_6054.jpgIMG_6061.jpgIMG_6063.jpg
IMG_6065.jpg
i put my betta fish (kaito) in a cup for the sake of the pictures to try and get a better view for u guys. ive noticed he doesnt eat and hes extremely swollen and i have been treating him with KanaPlex for dropsy but he doesnt seem to be getting better. he jus lays on the bottom all day and doesnt swim around and i dont know what else to do.

Dropsy isnt really a disease, but a symptom. Many issues cause dropsy. Unfortunately by the time whatever is ailing your fish has got to the stage that you see the symptoms of dropsy its usually gone beyond a treatable stage.

The photos arent really clear enough to see. Are you seeing the scales pineconing?

It could just be constipation. If so, isolate the fish if you keep it with other fish, don't feed for a 3 or 4 days. If no improvement try feeding a boiled pea. If still no improvement try an epsom salt dip.

hes been like this for 3 weeks maybe even a month my fish friend said he was pineconing and i starved him for a week and jus fed him two nights ago bc i felt bad. i had hin with 3 corys but took them out once my friend said he had dropsy and ive been treating for 2 weeks and he hadnt gotten better i will try a boiled pea.

Dropsy isnt really a disease, but a symptom. Many issues cause dropsy. Unfortunately by the time whatever is ailing your fish has got to the stage that you see the symptoms of dropsy its usually gone beyond a treatable stage.

The photos arent really clear enough to see. Are you seeing the scales pineconing?

It could just be constipation. If so, isolate the fish if you keep it with other fish, don't feed for a 3 or 4 days. If no improvement try feeding a boiled pea. If still no improvement try an epsom salt dip.

he wont eat the pea ☹️

Boil a fresh pea for 30 seconds (1 minute for a frozen pea). Drop it into ice cold water to cool it. Peal it, and cut it into small enough pieces for it to eat. May or may not eat it.

Post #3 is a method of doing an epsom salt bath.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/sos-fish-appears-very-unwell-379550.html

As said, if its dropsy no treatment will be effective. If your fish is suffering, not able to swim or eat, not responding to treatment then consider euthanising the fish.

The idea behind the cooked skinned pea is that if they get hungry enough, they'll eat it. Honestly, I've never had anyone eat it. But we must try, because they might, and if they do, it works. You can lead a fish to peas but you can't make him eat it...

You're receiving good advice, good luck with him.

Back
Top Bottom