Black Molly white patches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hartgirl

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have a trio of female black mollies and every so often over the course of the last few months I've had them, sometimes their skin turns whitish in patches for a few days and then goes away. At first I thought it was Ich because this happened for the first time after I had them a day or two. What I thought were ich spots were larger than salt specks though so I thought in case it was a fungus or something I'd treat with Kordon's "Ich Attack" (because it's the same as their fungal meds)...well it went away in a couple days and now it seems to come back every so often, and then go away again. I'm not treating it, but I'm curious if maybe they get patchy skin before/after giving birth?? Or has anyone experienced this with black mollies? I've just noticed fry in the tank recently and they blend with the dark substrate, so they could in fact be a little older and coming in batches that correspond with the patches...?? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423452423.002481.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It almost looks like velvet or another fungus.

How are the parameters in the tank

0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 5-10 nitrate, ph 7.4 (not adding salt bc of other fish and inverts/plants)

It's weird because it comes and goes and it's only ever on 1 fish...very odd...

I can't remember seeing any patchy skin on black mollies. I've had a few in a 5gal just for breeding but doesn't ring any bells. Does look fungal.

Yeah it does...much less today already. Very odd phases they go through with this :-/

Do they hang around the bottom or anything at that time.

I've got a fish that can get fungal infections when he hides away.

Well one does. She goes behind a rock, but I've noticed when she does that i also get more babies! I always attributed that to her hiding away giving birth...idk...

Back
Top Bottom