Black Moor not a good swimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spence0416

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just got a black moor. He is still rather small (maybe an inch). He pretty much just lets the water flow move him around the tank. Is this normal behavior or are they weak swimmers when they are this small. He will at times try to move against the flow but you can see that it is quite a struggle for him.

Black moors are not the greatest swimmers due to their body structure. High current makes swimming tough for em. You may want to reduce the water flow in the tank, and keep an eye on him in case he is weak from other reasons.

Although Moors might be a bit slower than the regular fantails, the ones I've seen are generally pretty active. They are certainly better swimmers than Rykius (sp?) or bubble-eyes.

I guess it depends on how much current you have in the tank to decide if the Moor is normal. Another indication is feeding time. Goldies should be VERY active when it comes to food. If not I would be a bit worried that it might be sick, or have something wrong. BTW, the most common genetic prob with fantails (Moors included) is bent back. Looking from the top, you should see a smooth straight back. If the back is deformed, this may be a cause of poor swimming.

He's fine. I could tell that he looked healthy, but just can't swim against any kind of current. All I have for water flow is an aqua clear for a 10 - 20 Gal. But when he does try to swim you can see his whole body shake. I'm used to cichlids that move like a stealth bomber compared to the Moor.

yea my black moor was like that when i first got him...he will most likely get used to the current as he ages and grows..at least mine did :eek:

yea my black moor was like that when i first got him...he will most likely get used to the current as he ages and grows..at least mine did :eek:

You are correct. Most fantails like moors are not the best swimmers. However does he float near the surface and if he swims down does he float back up on his own? Due to the selective crossbreeding of goldfish many have swim bladder problems, which cause them to float (positive buoancy). usually it does not affect them greatly unless they struggle so much and can not right themselves or feed effectively. I have read of breeders using hyperdermic needles to correct this by removing air!! I dont think I'd try this as I'd probably end up stabbin him to death. Best bet is to reduce the current. I have a 3 inch calico ryukin with a swim bladder problem. He just works a little harder, although it is somewhat amusing when he swims upside down after gettin stuck in the current. As long as he is healthy and thrives I wouldnt worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom