Black spot on molly!! Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JadeandScott

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone please help us find out what is causing this black spot on our Molly?

Attachments

• image-1418281827.jpg
    image-1418281827.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2816502349.jpg
    image-2816502349.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 67
Are you talking about the darker spot near her anis? If so that is a gravid spot. It means you will have baby mollys swimming around soon. Good luck she looks gourgeous

No way, really??? Any info you can give us on looking after her would really really help as we are new to all this! We've had problems in our tank after buying a sick fish :( but we think
We have saved this one and two tetras :)
All advice is welcomed :) x

JadeandScott said:
No way, really??? Any info you can give us on looking after her would really really help as we are new to all this! We've had problems in our tank after buying a sick fish :( but we think
We have saved this one and two tetras :)
All advice is welcomed :) x

Just keep feeding her and weekly water changes. Eventually her chest will get a rounded square to it her belly will look swollen and uncomfortable. Then within a few days she may birth.

Do you want to save her fry? Or do you just want survival of the fittest to occur?

You can save the fry by adding some javamoss or hornwort or anacharis. They all do a great job as fry hiders/feeders. So if she births and you don't catch her birthing you can still have a few fry.

Or you could use a breeders box/ net. If you catch her birthing you can pop her into the net and add some plants for fry to hide in while she gives birth. But don't ever leave her in the box/net for more than 2 days. Since they like to birth in the morning over night stays may need to be done.

Once the fry are born you can crush up the food you feed the adults and feed it to them. They wont eat in the first few hours of life but otherwise should take to the food easily.

I'd prefer to keep them alive purely because it would be horrible if they were eaten! Can we buy the moss etc from the fish shop? If so how much and will the tetras that we have be ok?
If we leave her where she is and she has the babies what are the chances of most of them surviving provided we have moss and plants? X

It said that post had deleted on my phone so re posted it. No need for comments like that

JadeandScott said:
It said that post had deleted on my phone so re posted it. No need for comments like that

Comments like what? I was only saying I swear I had already answered that question. Nothings been deleted on the other thread. And plus I was only wondering because making two threads about the same thing will merge and then one of them will be deleted. I wasn't trying to come across rude , but I was just curious.

Many people post duplicate threads, so it's not uncommon for someone to say something like "geez, I thought I told you this in another thread". ;)

You should always do species research on the fish you have PRIOR to purchasing them. Only then can you be sure you are stocking your tank properly. It also will prepare you to be a midwife. :lol:

According to my phone the other isn't there but never mind! Gna have to buy plants etc for the babies to hide in xxx

This is her tonight...

Attachments

• image-1378784663.jpg
    image-1378784663.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 55
  • image-1831765021.jpg
    image-1831765021.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 53
Yes she's pregnant she will give birth to live young. More than likely 15-50 but some will be eaten it is the life cycle no way to prevent that but if you have enough hiding spots for the young some will survive.

Definitely going to have to get the moss etc any other info we need?

Just the normal stuff but crushed? Can I get the moss n plants from the shop and which ones are best?

Normal food crushed. I would recommend java fern, that makes a good cover. Along with java moss.

Back
Top Bottom