Black/White spot on Golden Fantail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RMhamilton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a gold fantail. Suddenly, within the last few hours, I noticed a pretty decent sized spot appear on his right side. (Literally I took a nap, and woke up, and there it was). It is a black spot, with a white center. He doesn't act any different, he is eating fine, and swims perfectly normal, and very actively. But what's wrong with him? It's only a single spot, but it definitely doesn't belong there.
Honestly, it looks like a scrape or something, if it weren't black and white. It isn't raised or anything, and he has no other spots.
I tried to take a picture, but he moves too much for it to be clear, this is the best I could do:

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I will try to get a better picture or a video if it will help.

Also, forgot to add:
He is housed with:
1 Black Moor
1 Black Mystery Snail
2 Koi
1 Algae Eater

Tank size: 55 gallons.
All pH/Ammonia levels are good, and checked daily.
They are fed 2 pinches of normal goldfish flakes, twice daily
25% water changes weekly
2 cucumber slices per week
Sinking tablets for the algae eater (however, I am almost certain my goldfish always eat it before he even knows it exists).
Contains a filter, and a bubble stone.

Last edited:
What are your water parameters? What size tank? What else is in the tank?

Can you try to get a better pic?

Sorry, forgot to add! I edited the post with that information. Ill try to use a camera instead of my cell phone and see if I can get a better photo, I'll do that now.

My algae eater is a Pleco/suckermouth catfish. I'm not sure what the levels are right now. I need more test kits, but they were normal about a week ago, and since I've used pH tablets and an ammonia liquid that is supposed to stablize nitrates and ammonia levels. I can get the names of those if needed. I've used them in all the years ive had fish and theyve done pretty well for me.

RMhamilton said:
My algae eater is a Pleco/suckermouth catfish. I'm not sure what the levels are right now. I need more test kits, but they were normal about a week ago, and since I've used pH tablets and an ammonia liquid that is supposed to stablize nitrates and ammonia levels. I can get the names of those if needed. I've used them in all the years ive had fish and theyve done pretty well for me.

What I'm thinking is the sucker gave your goldfish a hickie. It depends what kind you have though. Just a guess.
Do you know what the nitrogen cycle is? Ammonia reducing/removing chemicals and products to alter your pH are not needed. They can actually be very dangerous for your fish. Unless pH is very high 9+ or very low 6- there is no need to mess with it. Fish can adapt to pH. A stable pH of any kind is better than a chemically altered one that can change drastically.
When you buy more tests I suggest giving the API freshwater master test kit a go. Fairly good for the money and way more accurate than test strips. Test strips are rubbish actually.
Here is a link that will explain cycling if you don't already know:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

Please let us know what your water parameters are when you are able to test them (amm/nitrite/nitrate/ph). Why are you using ph tablets? Most fish will adapt to your waters ph as long as it is stable-what you are doing with ph tablets is creating instability. Pwcs are the best way to remove ammonia/nitrites/nitrates & you really should be doing atleast 50% once or twice a week with what you are stocked with. How big are the koi (i am assuming you mean goldfish)? Koi grow to be 3ft in length & can live 50yrs and do not belong in aquarium environment. You really should consider finding them a more appropriate home (pond). I believe your fantail is suffering from water quality issues here-you really should start with a lg (50%) pwc immediately using a good water conditioner (prime or amquel plus) and make sure you match the temp of the new water to that of your tank. Healthy water may be enough to heal your fantail.

Yes, the koi are smaller than my goldfish, and do not belong in the tank . They are offspring of my uncles pond koi and I only have them until they grow appropriate size and can fend for themselves. The reason I was using a pH tablet is the shop owner where i got my fish told me to do so ever so often. My pH is normally about 7.3 or so. But it needs to be tested again. Mumma, that makes sense. Ive seen him try to attach before, and he is a pretty good size. If that's the problem, will it clear on its own ? Thanks jlk, I have heard good things about prime and plan to invest!

RMhamilton said:
Yes, the koi are smaller than my goldfish, and do not belong in the tank . They are offspring of my uncles pond koi and I only have them until they grow appropriate size and can fend for themselves. The reason I was using a pH tablet is the shop owner where i got my fish told me to do so ever so often. My pH is normally about 7.3 or so. But it needs to be tested again. Mumma, that makes sense. Ive seen him try to attach before, and he is a pretty good size. If that's the problem, will it clear on its own ? Thanks jlk, I have heard good things about prime and plan to invest!
Jlk really knows goldfish. :)
Can you post a picture of the sucker so we can ID it please?
7.3 is perfect! No need to alter it at all. My tanks sit at 7.6-7.8.

Reactions: jlk
I posted a picture but I guess its waiting for approval... give it a minute-

RMhamilton said:
Hypostomus plecostomus. is the type he is ~

Ok a common pleco. They can reach nearly 2 foot in length and have a huge bioload.(they poop A LOT). He probably didn't 'bite' your fish. Your tank is too small to accommodate him.

Any idea what could be wrong then ? If he gets too big I can rehome him. I was told he wouldn't get any bigger... I am a total amateur at the aquarium stuff and just recently took it up because my nephew loves feeding the fish and looking at them. I don't mind myself ! I've been trying to read best I can about them though.. seems I was misinformed by someone as clueless as I am ! He actually recommended I get the pleco, I didn't even want him..

RMhamilton said:
Any idea what could be wrong then ? If he gets too big I can rehome him. I was told he wouldn't get any bigger... I am a total amateur at the aquarium stuff and just recently took it up because my nephew loves feeding the fish and looking at them. I don't mind myself ! I've been trying to read best I can about them though.. seems I was misinformed by someone as clueless as I am ! He actually recommended I get the pleco, I didn't even want him..

Honestly it's hard to tell. Most problems/diseases with fish are caused by poor water conditions. Your tank is very full. So you'll want to keep a close eye on him and do extra water changes. 2-3 times a week of 30% or more. No such thing as too many water changes. Let us know if he doesn't get any better or get worse. Keep an eye out for odd behavior, listlessness and refusal to eat. Watch the spot/mark and see if it changes.
Clean water goes a long way and a lot of the time it's all that's needed to help fish heal.

Your water parameters would really help us out here (amm/nitrite/nitrate) to figure things out. Are any of the fish new or have you gotten any new fish in past few mths? Trying to rule in or out the transfer of disease/parasites.

Can i ask you a question? How long has this 'spot' been there? Has it been growing slowly or did appear overnight? Was it there when you bought him?

I will go tomorrow to get more test kits and let you know the readings, I'm just out of them. I've had these fish for several months with no new additions. The goldie with the problem is acting completely normal, just has the large spot on his side. None of the others seem.affected at all. Nothing new has been added to the tank since it was setup, except for a bubble stone, but I doubt that has anything to do with it..

Back
Top Bottom