Brand new fish, upturned white mouth, sick?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sarah E

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello... well yesterday I got 6 new fish. 1 male fancy guppy and 3 females, as well as two Bristlenosed plecos... (i think, the small ones that get up to 4-5" only) and put them in my 10 Gallon tank. They were perfectly fine when I got them. This morning, I noticed that the male and 1 of the female's lips were upturned. The baby (one of the guppies was pregnant and had two fry in my tank. The fry keep getting out of my breeding net, so I gave up. xD) and the other two females are fine. And I believe the plecos are too, though one has some white blotches, but I'm wondering if that's a color thing.

I did two water tests today. I took one this morning, before my 50% water change and got a reading of:

7.2-7.6, but closer to 7.6 PH
0.25ppm Ammonia
between 0 and 0.25 ppm Nitrite, but closer to 0.25 ppm
and 10 ppm Nitrate.

Then I did a 50% water change and tested again, and got:

7.2-7.6 blut closer to 7.2 PH
Between 0 and 0.25 but closer to 0 ppm Ammonia
0 ppm Nitrite
and 10 ppm Nitrate.

Here are a couple pictures, 2 of the male guppy (I couldn't get a decent one of the female, as she is very active, but it looks exactly like the male's mouth) and 1 of the Bristlenose who came up and "posed for the camera" :)

img_1698814_0_505c831a1239262c89318318bbbe2bd5.jpg

img_1698814_1_38f243b59fe1b920b66b6706ac4eaca4.jpg

img_1698814_2_e9c1c9b7909c150c1927dc0dec91c7bd.jpg

Alas, the male and female with this disease passed on. I think it had been Columnaris. I did another 50% water change when I found the two dead, and this time added salt. I was mistaken in my thinking that this mineral supplement I added to the water also had salt.

Hopefully that will kill off the chances of the remaining two females and baby... is there any other way I can make sure they don't get sick? I can't move them to another tank, as i don't want my 20 gallon infected with anything and making my other fish sick, and my other tank isn't cycled, and my other other tank (the nursery) is full of Feeder guppies I don't want contaminated.... is there anything I can do to make sure the Columnaris doesn't spread to the healthy fish?

Im sorry about your fish! Salt & reducing the temp a bit (@75) along with healthy water may be enough to keep your others from getting sick. If you want to treat your tank prophylactically, a course of gram-negative antibiotics can be used (kanamycin or minocycline). Make sure you do not transfer disease to your other tanks-disinfect any nets, buckets, grav vacs from the sick tank & wash hands thoroughly when going from one tank to the next. Good luck!

Columnaris is nasty get on top of it ASAP. As jlk said a gram negative antibiotic is needed to kill it. I think macaryn 2 works? Reduce the temperature to slow it down. You will need to disinfect anything like nets and buckets before using them on your other tanks. You can use a bleach solution, potassium permanganate solution or hydrogen peroxide.

Back
Top Bottom