Camallanus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Madame_X

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I suspect my favorite ram has camallanus. :(

I noticed something strange looking hanging from his butt. As he always does when I approach the tank, he started doing his little happy dance and it fell off. When he settled down, I could see tiny red thread-like things still protruding from the area.

I immediately ordered levamisole online and paid for overnight shipping, as I suspect it will be impossible to find locally (not too many farm supply places where I live). I'm going to call my vet and ask (can't hurt) but does anyone know how fast this stuff kills? His behavior is completely normal so I think I've caught it early but I won't have the stuff for a couple of days since it was late at night when I ordered it.

Has anyone successfully treated camallanus? I'd sure like to hear a happy ending or two. I'm rather attached to this little guy. He's been such a fun little fish. I'm gonna be upset it I lose him already. :cry:

I have a customer in the store at the moment and he said that he used Fenbendazole once to treat worms in his tank, and it was an equine worm treatment. He said it came in a powder form and he could either mix with the fishes food or put into the water. He chose the water method.
I dont know if it is the same stuff as Levamisole, he said that he had to do three treatments at weekly intervals.

On a good note he said his fish recovered.

After a little more reading, I found out that the main ingredient in Discomed is levamisole. It also contains piperazine which was another recommended drug for camallanus.

I bought it on my way home from work. When I got home I checked my fish and the worms were now apparent in both rams. I treated the entire tank and there didn't seem to be any stress from the fish, even the pleco. I didn't put it in food as was recommended on the package. I had read on the internet that this product could be dissolved and placed into the tankwater at the rate of one tablet per 8 gallons.

Within an hour or so, it was obvious that the worms were coming out of the fish (gross!). Three hours later, there is no sign of worms in either ram.

A snail (pond snail) and a ghost shrimp (who I assumed had been eaten already as I couldn't find him) both died from the meds. But I'm very optimistic that I've saved my rams.

Tomorrow night, I will do a thorough gravel vac and a big water change. This weekend I'm going to pull out all my plants and disinfect them. I have plenty of the Discomed left to do a couple more treatments if necessary, but hopefully it won't be.

I just wanted to share this with anyone who notices the obvious signs of camallanus. Discomed is the stuff--it works.

I am so grateful for the many folks who've written articles about treating this on the internet. Thanks to all of you out there! :D

Back
Top Bottom