Camallanus worms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dawny1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help! Camallanus worms

Hi, I wonder if anyone could share their experiences with me about these nasty creatures. I took up fishkeeping a year ago and have had bad luck from the start, I am starting to think my fish always had camallanus since I got my first tank (I got the tank complete with fish secondhand), as the fish have always shown signs of flashing against the substrate (sand). I treated at he beginning for parasites but it made no difference. I had male and female gupples that bred (I have now separated them as too many babies!) and it was only when I noticed one of the babies as it matured had what I thought was a deformed anus. I then started to examine all my guppies carefully and noticed these red worms hanging from their anal vent, some were very infested. I have had to euthanise a number of them which I hate, but can't let them suffer dying slowly.:( And so my fight began. This was about three months ago, I treated them with flubendazole, double dose twice a week but although the worms lessened they didn't go altogether. Been researching on the internet for hours and finally found a medicine that is for fish and small animals called chanaverm, which is a levamisole based product. I treated yesterday after an eighty percent water change (fun in a 420 litre tank!) and so far things are looking positive, most of the worms had disappearred by this morning and none of my fish showed any signs of stress during the treatment. Fingers crossed it is successful as I am so stressed with it all. Feel so responsible for keeping them healthy and feel like I've failed so any advice welcome.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom