Can someone help me diagnose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

Does anyone know what kind of disease my goldfish has? i don't have a clue! there is this white spot on him which looks really bad! :(

Here are some pics of it:

j636zd.jpg

hvnw5z.jpg

Can someone help me please?

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks almost like an injury. Melafix and aquarium salt will help. Can you give us some water parameters?

That looks like an open wound. Just like homedog said, Melafix and salt will help. You could also try the Melafix/primafix duo. Melafix is kind of hit and miss, some people have good luck, others dont.

Melafix will only help if used for the whole week. Salt is the best cure at this moment. The sore doesn't seem to be infected in any way. Isolate the fish in a separate tank and treat him there. Wouldn't hurt to salt the main tank a little either just to be safe

But how could he possible get that wound? and btw i have live plants in the tank, so the salt is not in the picture. But i can isolate the fish in separately tank. How much salt should i let in per gallon or liter?

unknown said:
But how could he possible get that wound? and btw i have live plants in the tank, so the salt is not in the picture. But i can isolate the fish in separately tank. How much salt should i let in per gallon or liter?

Gravel, decor, anything really.

Flashing can cause it, which a sign of a possible parasite like ick. My big Moor comes up with small sections of scales missing for no reason (nothing sharp in tank) and I just let it heal on it's own. Is there something sharp it could rub itself against in your tank?

Melafix is a good healer (tea tree oil) that I've used with success. You can use salt in limited quantities with plants, but if you have a QT I'd suggest getting it in there so you don't have to deal with getting the salt out of your DT. If you read the link I posted, it recommends 1/2 dosing salt at 1 tbsp per 10g of water and Melafix over the course of a few days with PWC.

Breeding is another area to consider, since they can get pretty rough when they're in season (my female got her dorsal fin ripped during breeding).

It's ok to salt plants a little. I'm not a big fan of any medications. But a few days in an iso tank will do him good. Melafix does work but you have to dose everyday

Back
Top Bottom