Cich Elliottii - Not behaving normally....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiJaC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,

My "Daddy" fish is a large cich elliottii. He/She happily co-exists with my tank of mostly tetras and 4 GBR's acting nice and passive while eating everything put infront of it.

In the last week i've not been seeing him/her about as much as she hides out of site at the back of the tank or down in the corners amoung the plants.

I've not seen her/him eat and he/she spends most of the time not moving very much just sitting on the bottom of the tank.

It is very confusing as there isnt really anything that has gone on to spark this change.

The water params are the same as usual, the only recent additions are these GBR's in the last month and a half. There was some initial chasing about but I've not seen the GBR's starting on the C.Ellottii. Plus it is at least 4 times bigger then anything else in the tank.

Getting worried now about it starving to death. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

John

There are several questions that we need to have answered to help you. Exact water parameters, tank size, water change schedule, what do you feed, what if any physical signs aside from what you mentioned? Have you seen it poop lately? Is the poop normal colored or is it white and stringy? Is the fish gasping for breath, do you have an airstone in the tank? What temp is the tank? Any chance of a picture?

Hi,

Water params are pretty damn normal.

No2 - 0
Amm - 0
No3 - 10
Ph - 6.7 - 6.8
PO4 - 4

Temp - 26.5

CO2 injection with PH monitor
Have an external filter with an extra HOB filter to keep the 02 levels up.

Tank is a 48G corner tank heavily planted.

Water change 50% every monday.

I feed a variety of things, granules, flake, bloodworms (freezedried blocks), daphnia, wafers.

The last thing i saw him eat was a massive clump of bloodworms.

I've not seen any poop lately, the last time i saw some it may have been a little white but it was so long ago i wouldnt want to say that for sure.

The fish isnt gasping for breath at the surface, its just sitting at the base of the tank, occasionally resting on its fins.

I don't have an airstone.

I actually removed the fish from the big tank last night as he was just sitting at the front and I noticed what seemed to be impact marks or round whiter areas between the eye and the gills. One of which seemed to be raised/puffy. These are about 1mm-2mm round (about the size of the GBR's mouths).

He is now in the medical tank.

Water params are similar to that above, less PO4, no CO2, only 3 other occupants (2 otos, 1 female cocotodies).

Behaviour hasnt changed much, still sitting on the bottom, occasionally changing position. No real interest in food.

I was a bit worried it might be ich with the white spots in all but they don't really look like that type of thing. But as a precaution i upped the temp a notch, so he's now sitting in 27.5 to 28 water. I also added some biological suppliment to aid healing and calm the fish.

I will try and take pictures later.

Best Regards,

John

Back
Top Bottom