Cockatoo cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmore2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help I think my cichlid is in danger. It's always hiding and hardly ever swims around. He will either be floating just above the ground or hiding in a dark rock cave. Is he just shy or a hiding fish? Or should I worry??

What size tank, tank mates, water parameters, any bullying, new changes, still acclimating, etc?
We need more information to help determine the issue.

I got him yesterday. No bullying that I've seen. I have a angelfish. Ten neon tetras. 5 corys. 1 cobolt gourami. 1 honey gourami. He's in the very "nook" between a stone and gravel. It's a 60gallon 5 ft tank.

im not sure.. he seems to stay in one place and move from space to space. but usually resting on the ground,, usually hides in darker spots. also he went upto a rock before tilted on his side and hit the rock with his gills and them dashed away?? (looked like he was scratching just behind his eye)
??

If he is trying to rub himself it's usually a sign of parasites. Can you check to see if he's got white poo? Is he eating and acting as normally as a hiding fish can?
If it's parasitic you'll want to treat ASAP as they can spread rapidly.

What are your water parameters? It's also possible that the cause is from ammonia though it doesn't sound like it.

If it isn't parasites, though I think it is, or ammonia then it's possible he may just be getting used to the new tank and it may take a few days.

He is getting used to the new environment. Give him a few days and maybe limit light on time so he can get out and explore more in comfort. I would do a 50% water change to see if that will help if he is scratching it could be the water. What's your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates readings? How often do you do water changes and how much at a time?

He cost me 45 dollars :( I will limit light and have blocked some light to the planted side of the tank. Which is a bad idea for the plants but he seems to be more comfortable on that side. I will do a hefty water change today though.

In the uk they are 45£ each in shops but ive got a breeder that sells 5£ a pair and i can say that hes getting used to te environment mine did the same thing and he loves to dash from place to place do get him a female its beautifull their courting dance

Yup its like wen a bear marks a tree! Pretty soon he will start to defend his territory! If youvwant to be on the safe side buy esha200 has no side efects and does miracles has a treatment or precaution!

What is eshi200?? And will he start to come out more once he establishes his territory??

ok things got bad.. i put him in quarantine tank and started an anti fungal treatment. he looks like he almost has wee worms coming out his head? rarely swims always lays on the bottom took tests had
0.5mg/L ammonia
0ppm No2
10mg/L No3
Ph 8

I woke up and he was on his side twitching. I have euthanised him now :(

Hmm very sad. But life goes on. I hope I have better luck with veiltail ram cichlids. They're going to be my next addition

Sorry to hear that google esha200 its a miracle tonic to me so far but im in the uk so dont know if you can get it there mine behaved just like yours bjt now think hes the boss of the tank they are amazing to watch hope this didnt put you off on them
Best regards

Back
Top Bottom