color change on red capped oranda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
He is a beautiful pearly white with the red cap. But his pearl is flaking off only on one side now on the edges od him is turning orange. Like down his spine and around his tale not his underbelly and his mouth has always had a orange tint. My black moor is turning gold on the underbelly. I thought because I had to catch him with my hand. I saw on AA never to touch them because of this but I really had no choice my net was to big to get him out the bowl while I cleaned the tank. And my albino catfish looks like he's not happy. Swimming all over the tank. Others I've seen chill at the bottom but mine doesn't much. I'm new to this fish hobby. I got them for my kids cause the asked for a dog or cat but I thought they were to much work. But I'm finding out that fish are just as much if not more. And most of the work I have to do as they are to young. But I enjoy them. I love the snails more tho lol idk why but I do hehe...

Hi! Can you please provide some more information so we can better help you? Pics of redcap would help as well.

Tank size?
Stocking?
Numbers for ammonia,nitrite, nitrate, ph?
Water change schedule (%/#wk)?
Diet?
How long you have had the fish/anyone new recently?
Symptoms/how long they have been occurring?

Handling your black moor has NOTHING to do with his color change. It's genetics. He will eventually be completely orange. The best way to handle a fancy is to gently scoop them up by their tummy or use a large bowl to scoop them out in their water. :)

Well I don't have a liquid test kit. I didn't know what I had got myself into really. But I only have the black moor and the red cap and an albino catfish and 4 snails 1 mystery, 2 apple, a baby ramshorn which I haven't seen since I got him, all in a ten gallon tank. I thought the catfish was gonna eat the poo. But he so busy flyin around the tank he don't. And lately the poo been floating at the top. It use to settle at the bottom. I give them peas once a week I do a water change when I see clowdiness. I've had the moor for bout 6-8 mons. now. The red cap bout 3 mons the catfish bout 2 wks the snails are pretty much new excepted the mystery. Oh and let me appologize for not responding sooner! I don't get notifications like I use to. Maybe my 4yr old been messing as usual lmbo!

Agreed- you need a much larger tank asap. Atleast 30-40g for the two goldfish. I would rehome the catfish. If you want to keep the catfish, 40-50g because they need to be kept in schools. You also need to get yourself a liquid test kit such as the API fw master test kit so you can test your water. I suspect water quality issues in addition to diet are contributing to your fish's health concerns. I would start changing 50% of their water every other day until you can address the stocking situation. Please check out the link below for more info on how to care for your goldfish and ask any questions you may have!

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Ok thanks y'all! I appreciate the help! Ill get the test kit first. Then see what I can do about a bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom