Cory with damaged barbels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reun

Aquarium Advice Regular
I bought a small school of bronze corys for my 29 gallon about 2 weeks ago. Until a couple days ago, everything was going well, the only tank mates are a school of danios, and the tank has been cycled for a long time. No changes in water quality or anything else.

One of the bronze corys loved the soft sand substrate immensely(the pet store I bought them from had gravel) and LOVED using its nose as a shovel. It seems it loved burrowing in the sand a bit much, and its left "wiskers" and worn down to a stub and its nose was very damaged.

I noticed the condition last night, and immediately did a 30% water change and added a full dose of API Stress Coat to the tank. I haven't been turning on the full spectrum lights, and have limited the hours that the 14w light stays on (changed the timer to 7 hours a day). I have been dropping a few different kinds of high quality food pellets in the tank close to where the corys hide after the danios are asleep(i don't know what type of food this cory likes yet).

The damage looks better today, but it is hiding today in one of the rock caves. the other corys look perfectly fine and seem healthy and are acting normal. I don't know what else to do, and I am just planning to make sure there is lots of food on the flat slate rocks near where its hiding and do water changes every day. any other ideas would be great!

my ten gallon isn't cycled yet, I don't have a quarantine tank ready...even if I did these corys seemed very stressed from the move, i worry about pulling it out of now familiar surroundings and sticking it in a non cycled tank by itself.

The barbel damage is from your sand bed. It's quite normal and the barbels will grow back. However, as they search for more food, the barbels will wear out again. That sand is too sharp for their liking. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom