Corys acting strange :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
All three of my corys have started acting strangely. Instead of constantly searching the gravel for food, they keep sitting on the gravel doing nothing. They'll swim up for air, then come down and instead of going back to the gravel, they'll just stop wherever they land. I found one head first pointing down in a plant the other day. Thought she was dead :/ every so often, it's like they let go of wherever they're sitting and they'll just drift around in the current not moving.

Water is am 0, Ni 0, Na 0-5ppm

I have noticed a couple of fish flashing, but there is no sign of ich and the ammonia is 0 so I don't know why they would be doing that either.

The corys started acting funny after my dosing the tank with pimafix, but I followed all the instructions and they've had several pwcs since then. I stopped using the plant food I was dosing every morning just in case, but that hasn't made any difference. I've also fed them peas but made no difference again.

I'm out if ideas, so I'm hoping someone here can help me out.

What test kit are you using?
Sometimes the cories need a rest, they can't always be scavaging

Crypto said:
What test kit are you using?
Sometimes the cories need a rest, they can't always be scavaging

Api liquid. I know they rest sometimes, but this isn't like them. And the drifting in the current is definitely new and worrying :/

Is primafix some sort of chemical that does something for your tank? That could be the suspect...IDK, cories are funny, mine used to play dead by floating on the surface and then when I looked into the tank he'd swim all the way back down to the bottom and hide from me.

PimaFix™ said:
Treats fungal infections and both internal and external bacterial infections. Will not adversely affect the biological filter, alter the pH, or discolor water. Safe for reef aquariums and live plants. For use in fresh or salt water. PimaFix has been formulated to work in combination with Melafix to enhance effectiveness against fish diseases. Link: PimaFix
It's a fungal med + a med for both internal and external infections

Crypto said:
It's a fungal med + a med for both internal and external infections

I used it for my tetras who had fungus on their caudal peduncle, and one with a wooly mouth. It cured the tails, but not the one with the fuzzy mouth. I'm too scared to treat again in case that's what's caused the problem with the corys. It said on the bottle that it was safe for all fish, so I didn't think it would be a problem. I don't know if it's just a coincidence or not.

Is it possible for you to remove the last fungusy fish and put him in some sort of quaratine set-up for further treatment? Corys can be sensitive to medications, but they are not as suseptable to medications as some people would have you believe. A common thing is to treat with medications at half strength when corys are in the tank. But, plenty of people treat at full strength and don't have an issue. Keep an eye on them and try to remove the last sick fish for his own treatrment.

absolutangel04 said:
Is it possible for you to remove the last fungusy fish and put him in some sort of quaratine set-up for further treatment? Corys can be sensitive to medications, but they are not as suseptable to medications as some people would have you believe. A common thing is to treat with medications at half strength when corys are in the tank. But, plenty of people treat at full strength and don't have an issue. Keep an eye on them and try to remove the last sick fish for his own treatrment.

I can't separate this last fish I'm afraid :( stupid landlord won't let me have more than one tank, even if it is just a tiny quarantine/hospital one :( :( I did treat at full strength because I wasn't expecting them to be affected by it. My oto has been fine with it, and I would have thought that if any of my fish had a problem with it, it would be them. Is there anything else that would cause these symptoms?

I can't separate this last fish I'm afraid :( stupid landlord won't let me have more than one tank, even if it is just a tiny quarantine/hospital one :( :( I did treat at full strength because I wasn't expecting them to be affected by it. My oto has been fine with it, and I would have thought that if any of my fish had a problem with it, it would be them. Is there anything else that would cause these symptoms?
Hmmmm... nothing else comes to mind. Hopefully they are ok. :)

I don't know if it comes across in this phot, but what she's doing isn't normal. Usually he'd be flat on the gravel, maybe propping herself up with her fins. Shed usually be head up. She went up for air and just landed like this and stayed like it. Shell just kind of wobble in the current too.

Attachments

• image-2403344762.jpg
    image-2403344762.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 134
Well, I've lost my male cory now :( only two left. I'm pretty upset. I don't know what is wrong with them so I can't help them. Does anyone else have any ideas?

Fishies86 said:
Well, I've lost my male cory now :( only two left. I'm pretty upset. I don't know what is wrong with them so I can't help them. Does anyone else have any ideas?

How many you have lost? In what time frame? Are the corys (bottom feeders) having enough food?
If nothing else , IMO there is a bacterial or parasite infection in the tank... Observe carefully the rest of your fish for symptoms....

ejaramillo01 said:
How many you have lost? In what time frame? Are the corys (bottom feeders) having enough food?
If nothing else , IMO there is a bacterial or parasite infection in the tank... Observe carefully the rest of your fish for symptoms....

The corys are getting enough food, I break their wafers up so they are in multiple places in the tank so they eat before other fish gobble it all up. They've both got plump bellies but aren't fat.

This is the second cory I've lost to similar symptoms. The first was deformed when I got her and had a weird sort if chin thing. I put her in a separate breeding box because I thought she wasnt getting enough to eat.she seemed to eat all the food I put in there but I never noticed any poo in there.when she died she had a scarily sunken belly :-(

I did notice today that one of the remaining ones poo was really thick and lumpy looking, I dunno if that means anything? The only other symptoms I've seen in my other fish are flashing.they seem to have stopped doing that recently though.

Since the pimafix is all natural it shouldn't really cause a problem, but read the label it could state somewhere to use smaller doses on scaless fish or possibly not to use it on them at all if it could cause a problem.

Gillie said:
Since the pimafix is all natural it shouldn't really cause a problem, but read the label it could state somewhere to use smaller doses on scaless fish or possibly not to use it on them at all if it could cause a problem.

It doesn't say anything like that on the bottle, but corys have scales anyway dont they.

It could be a parasite linked to what u are treating for... Maybe... Sorry about ur fish :((

Flossie said:
It could be a parasite linked to what u are treating for... Maybe... Sorry about ur fish :((

I am worried that it is a parasite now.:-\ I have no experience with that and have no idea how to treat :-\

Fishies86 said:
I am worried that it is a parasite now.:-\ I have no experience with that and have no idea how to treat :-\

I dont really either. I have heard of feeding fish medicated food. Hopefully someone can help u out really soon :)

Ok I've just lost another cory. I'm so upset, she was the first one I got, and I've only got one left now :( :( can someone please give me a definite answer and some advice. Of all the people on this site, someone must recognise the symptoms and know whats wrong.

I've put the remaining cory in a floating baby tank because shes already getting picked on. I tried to upload a video to youtube so I could show you the behaviour I'm talking about but couldn't get it to work. I noticed some lumpy red looking fish poo in the tank so I've put a pea in with her, but she hadn't touched it yet which is unusual :( I don't know what else to do. My water params are still what they should be. Please help! I don't want to lose my last cory :(

Back
Top Bottom