Dalmation Molly Has Pop Eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello Everyone,

I have never heard or seen anything about this before, but my large dalmatian molly looks like he/she has pop eye on one of it's eyes. Water parameters are fine and I don't overfeed.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? From what I read on the web, it's not contagious, but I don't have a hospital tank. I put Paraguard in the water.

Thanks for any advice-D

i have had a balloon molly develop pop-eye before. they are such messy fish, they need large weekly or bi-weekly water changes to keep them in tip top shape. adding aquarium salt is very good for mollies, as they are brackish fish, and the salt can help keep diseases and infections at bay. pop-eye is a bacterial infection and can be cured with large daily water changes. what other fish are in the tank? that will determine if its a good idea to add salt and how much salt to add.

It's a planted tank, so I have hesitated to add salt, but I did start dosing with Paraguard-don't know if it will help or not.

I have 2 angels (that are getting fairly large now), 2 rasboras, some tetras, danios, some guppies, a few lyre-tailed swordfish and a couple of mystery snails. I lost my balloon molly a week ago, but she was pretty old.

If I do a large water change, my PH will spike. I'm on well water and I learned that the hard way (no pun intended). I clean my tank every week and do a PWC at that time.

Thanks for your help Andrew

Back
Top Bottom