dead shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had an amano shrimp in my 30gal tank that suddenly died. I found him curled up this morning on the bottom and pink. Like he was cooked. The tank is at 79 degrees, so I don't think the water "cooked" him. Do all shrimp turn pick after they die? I did a quick google search and found that ghost shrimp sometimes have worms. Now I'm afraid that my shrimp had a worm and it's now loose inside my tank :( I've got a breeding pair of gouramis, and a small pleco. I wondered if any one of them might have attacked it? The male gourami has attacked my hand a few times when I've been in the tank. I don't know if they're protective of their girlfriends? :p
I don't recall ever seeing a worm like thing inside the shrimp, but he's turned pink now so I can't see inside him. The fish had also been picking at his body so he was kind of torn up. I looked around the tank, but it's planted and has lots of decor so I couldn't see anything anyway. What can I do to make sure that whatever killed my shrimp doesn't harm anything else in my tank? :confused:

(The other tankmates are doing fine for now.)

I got a dozen ghost shrimp and only 2 survived, found em all just like that in the morning. Not sure what did it but the other two are rather large.

All shrimp turn pink when they die. It has nothing to do with water temp.

Back
Top Bottom