dead snails...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolecandy44

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So we got some little snails in our fishtank,we have 3 of them. I can only find 1 of them right now. Since they are really small, they blend in with my gravel so I have no idea if they are living or not. Any suggestions on what to do? I don't want them harming my fish.

Do you know what kind? They shouldn't harm the fish. If they are really small they are probably around, you may just not see them until they show up on the glass or on a piece of decor.

Please don't worry. The snails won't harm your fish.

Where are your snails? Well, they might be hiding someplace while they get used to the new tank. Or the fish may have bothered or nipped at them so they are hiding. Sometimes snails can go into or, if they are small enough, get sucked into the inlet side of the filter. They can also hide behind the filter or in the top inside of the filter. If you have a tank cover, hood, or light fixture, then they may be up there. They can also hide behind the heater. They may be inside or on the inside 'ceiling' of any decor or hiding spots you have.. Some snails may 'escape' and leave the aquarium if they are unhappy with their living conditions for some reason, for example, bad water quality, or dirty water, or not enough food that they want to eat. It's also possible the fish ate them, depending on the size of the snails and the size and type of your fish.

However, they are probably just someplace where you can't see them and I think If you keep looking you will eventually see them.

Some snails will actually burrow under the gravel :hide: and only come out at night to feed. If you want to draw them out you can put a small piece of lettuce or a couple blanched peas in the tank. The next morning you will probably find them enjoying the food. :bb: Be sure to remove the vegetables before they start rotting and causing problems.

:fish2:

The snails I have are just really really small, like the size of my gravel. We got them at Petsmart, but we didn't buy them because the person said they were really annoying and said we could just take them. I don't know what specific species though. What happens if they do die though, and I can't find them?

The snails I have are just really really small, like the size of my gravel. We got them at Petsmart, but we didn't buy them because the person said they were really annoying and said we could just take them. I don't know what specific species though.

Uh-oh! I bet you are the proud owner of Pond Snails. If the shells are somewhat football-shaped and dark brown to black with tiny light specks, then you have Pond Snails. A behavioral clue of Pond Snails is that they will float up to the surface to get air and then float back down. And yes, most people consider them very annoying. The problem is that they reproduce very, very fast and to large numbers, and then the tank will have many, even hundreds of blackish spots on the glass. However, some people like them because they clean the tank and provide an "early warning system" of bad water conditions.

You can use this forum's Search function at the top right of this page and search "Pond Snail" or "Pond Snails" to instantly read what many forum users think or have to say about Pond Snails.

What happens if they do die though, and I can't find them?

If they are Pond Snails, don't worry about them dying. In my opinion, everything else in the tank will die long before the Pond Snails die. They are true survivors.

If they aren't Pond Snails and they die, then your fish will most likely eat most of the snail's flesh.

If you are concerned about the snails overpopulating the tank you could get a few assasin snails. That will take care of them in short order.

Back
Top Bottom