Dear god how long can ich last? Finally with pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well no I am not positive, for 7 weeks I had been treating for ich as stated in earlier posts. I posted a pic because the spots will not go away from the loaches. They act fine, eat fine and play fine. But are still covered in spots. I just couldn't figure out how the fish could still have ich. If you have any further insight, dear God I am listening. Clown loaches can tolerate that much salt?

Sure they can, but add it slowly.....so about .5 TBSP/G on the first day, .5 the next day...try that amount plus the heat and see what happens in a week. The fact that the spots are still there is odd....if the spots were a bit bigger, Oodinum pilularis would be a suspect...but with that, your fish would likely already be dead. I have heard of resistant strains of Ichthyopthirius multifiliis...I will have a look.

Thanks Toirtis, any help at all is appreciated. As I said I love these little guys like they are my babies. Also good to note that no other tankmates showed any signs whatsoever. Now the loaches are in QT, I had to get another tank for QT as I have one QT tank with a sick gourami in it. 7 tanks now. :p

Be aware that malachite green(found in maracide) CAN be quite toxic to weakened fish, and is more toxic at a high temperature. It's often not reccomended, especially with loaches and other scaleless fish. It's main purpose in medication is for secondary infections left by the detached parasite.

Does your LFS carry acriflavine? If so, I'd think it'd be a better option for treating your infection (be it ich, or oodinium) than the malachite green.

http://www.novalek.com/kpd29.htm

Personally, I've seen many cases across the internet of Oodinium spp. infections. I think it is what you are dealing with, but ich could still be the case. Perhaps you've stumbled upon one of the much talked about "heat resistant strains".

HTH

Not much on these 'heat resistant' ich infections....it may be all anecdotal, I am not sure. You may want to try, after the maracyn is done, something a bit more specific for oodinum and see what results you get....if it is oodinum, some results should be obvious within a few days.

I've been keeping a close eye on them, this is day 3 of the treatment. I haven't turned their lights on yet today, we'll see how they are doing. This is driving me nuts!

Unfortunately 2 of the smaller loached died this morning, I don't know if it was the salt or not. The parameters are very good ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate 10ppm. Temp 89 F. The others are holding on though and seem to have less spots.

I'd hate to say it, but likely the malachite green, Anne. It is notorious for being toxic to loaches. Is why I suggested an alternate route in regard to medication. I would keep a serious eye out on the other loach. Did you check for the acriflavine? See link in my post above.

So sorry to hear about your loss. :(

Nothing available here for the ariflavine. I will try online. I dosed at 1/2 meds for the maracide. But have added nothing to the water for 2 days now. Some improvement, they are swimming around like crazy again.

Most medications that are available through the lfs are dangerous to loaches. The only one I can't find igredient information on is aquari sol. Anybody know what the main ingredient in this is and whether it is safe for loaches? I am still treating with the heat but it has been so long I am looking to find something locally, although am seeing what BigAls has, to treat with that might help these little guys along.
Egads just found it, copper sulfate. That can't be a good treatment. I will keep up with the salt and heat until I find some of the aforementioned recommended meds.

Thanks again everyone for your support!

Well it isn't looking good for the loaches. I put a sponge on the filter intake as they were getting weak and I didn't want them stuck to the filter. They are pale, very pale and struggling to move around. I quit treating with meds, kept the heat up, did a pwc, put charcoal in the filter to remove the balance of the meds and added the salt as recommended. I feel at a loss, they were doing much better before I tried to help them by moving them to QT. It's frustrating and I don't think they will make it. My heart is heavy for them.

The salt will kill the clown loaches. That happened to me twice when i got clown loaches. I finally just started treating with Heat only and haven't had a problem since.

Ashley I was treating with heat only with no success, trying the salt on the advice of some of the other members here. Just a minute amount of salt. Although I am going to do another pwc and see if that helps. Thank God the tank is cycled!

yes I understnad that i was just letting you know that the loaches don't tolerate the salinity at all and that is why they are acting like that. I tried even a small amount of salt at one point and that killed the loaches as well :( Just letting you know that if you do lose them and if you decide to get more, QT them for 2 weeks at high temperatures before introducing them to your tank.

Ashley I will definately do that! I've done another large water change, one loach was gone by the time I returned to the tank. :cry: Bhunsucker I haven't tried that, they are awfully weak right now. Have you tried it when they are so weak? LOL, can you tell I am scared to try anything more?

Sorry Zagz.... :(

I wouldn't touch the quick cure. It contains malachite green (or methylene blue, one of them). Bot bad for loaches. I've used salt to treat loaches before, and they were fine with it. Didn't lose any of them, anyways. I think you are dealing with an oodinium infection, like said before.

The Aquarisol may work, but I would definitley steer clear of the other meds.

Best of luck Zagz!

Back
Top Bottom