Dear god how long can ich last? Finally with pics!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bhunsucker I haven't tried that, they are awfully weak right now. Have you tried it when they are so weak? LOL, can you tell I am scared to try anything more?

I have used with success Quick Cure at half dose. It is not a 2 day fix as the bottle says. I had no fish loss with any of my fish or my loaches during or after treatment. My Loaches were not weak when I doesed the tank. They were acting normal just had ich and I was about to go on vacation so I didnt have time for the heat treatment. I'm not a fan of meds either but sometimes you have to use them. This worked for me at that time. Good Luck with your fish.

Well all of the affected loaches have died. I am so depressed about it! I have 3 other loaches that have been in QT for just over a week now, they are showing no signs of anything.

I just wanted to thank everyone that offered advice and support, without you all, I would have never made it through the last 2 months. The loaches are pain and stress free now and in a better place.

loaches are VERY susceptible to ick.. especially clown loaches. YOu might want to slowly raise the temp in the QT to 86 just to kill off any potential protozoan taht could be living in spores.

Ashley that is one lesson I have learned the hard way! The QT tank is at 88 F. Has been the whole time the new loaches are in there. No way I am EVER going through this again, ich or velvet, not going to do it! :x

Zagz said:
Ashley that is one lesson I have learned the hard way! The QT tank is at 88 F. Has been the whole time the new loaches are in there. No way I am EVER going through this again, ich or velvet, not going to do it! :x

good luck!!! I've lost too many clown loaches to ich and trying to treat with heat and salt... which is why i only treat with heat now. But also the last 3 clown loaches i bought i heat treated for the first 2 weeks i had them. One of them died, i suspect of internal parasites, it never grew and got skinnier and skinnier... but the other 2 are doing awesome

Thank you all for your support, you have no idea how much it means to me! And I refuse to ever give up, another thing everyone here at AA has taught me, to keep going on!

Jungle makes an ich treatment specifically for sensitive fish - Ick Guard 2. They state that: "Clears Ich or white spot on small, weak, or scaleless freshwater fish such as catfish or loaches. Guards against secondary infections. Contains formalin, victoria green, nitromersol, and acriflavine. 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons. 8 oz treats 480 gallons."

Haven't tried it personally but there you go. Other people recommend using a regular ich treatment like Quick Cure at half a normal dose. Good luck!

This was over 2 months ago. I do appreciate the info though and will keep it in mind, although I sincerely hope that was my last case of ich with loaches.

Do the salted specs lool fuzzy? My friend Alexs' fish had ich with a fuzzy appearance , I believe the ich had fungus on top of it ewww. Anyway I treated them with ick away which also kills fungus and upped the temp to 87 and it appears to be completely gone. Maybe yours has fungus on top too and thats why it wont go away. Hmmm Im new myself so Im just guessing here

Hope somebody can give an answer that helps your clownies
good luck to them

Yeah, sorry Jchillin, I realized immediately after I posted that I was replying to an old post but unfortunately this forum does not allow one to edit or delete one's own postings. Sorry to hear you were unable to save them, but like you said, maybe the info will help in the future for treating other sensitive fishes. :(

Not a problem Kilgore. The OP responded and there was an additional post after that. In regard to editing, you could have edited it but as you mention, the information is good so it should stay.

ok I bought Tetra Whisper Power Filters, maracyde and copper safe medication along with a teng glass tank, should I set this up for QT?
What is this on my fish anyone know?

ok today I setup the ten gallon with a tetra filter, gravel, deco, 5 oto's and 5 ghost shrimp and one heater in my bedroom, i filled the tank with the pwc i did from my 20g tank.

Back
Top Bottom