Does HITH stay in the tank after infecting a fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
This is kind of hard to phrase. I had a German Blue ram with HITH, and I found and treated with meds a little too late and he passed away from it. I would like to get 2 more rams, but I don't want them to get infected with it too. Is it safe to get more GBR's or do I need to sanitize the tank or something?

I have good water conditions, so I'm assuming it was caused by carbon dust, which I have removed.

How long ago did the ram die?

If it reacted to meds then it was HITH and therefore a parasite (and not caused by carbon, and the carbon dust idea is completely unsupported).

He died about a week ago. If not carbon, I have no idea what caused it. I've been having trouble finding credible information on it.

There are two different issues commonly lumped together as HITH/HLLE.

HITH: parasite (Hexamita spp. and/or Spironucleus vortens) that infects discus and angels, is treatable with metronidazole, and is characterized by narrow, deep holes on the head that may include white discharge. It may be able to infect other species, but angels and discus are the ones it is most common in.

HLLE: non-parasite based illness characterized by shallow, wide pits on the head and along the lateral line, common to oscars and many other fish. HLLE is usually caused by low quality food and water, fix these and the issue goes away. In rare cases it has been shown to be caused by carbon (no evidence associating it with the carbon dust versus the carbon).

This is reference to freshwater cases of HITH and HLLE. In marine aquariums HLLE has been well supported to be a dietary issue.

This is based on years of research including discussing this with dozens of hobbyists with experience with one or the other (or both) and comparing what species, the symptoms, successful and failed treatments, etc., as well as primary research articles. The article I wrote on this was accepted by Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine and is awaiting publication. The reason there is so much debate and conflicting information is because EVERYONE lumps the two issues together. This means that one person will say 'no, my discus was cured when I treated it with metro so it is a parasite', and the other guy says 'no, my oscar didn't react to metro at all, it wasn't until I improved food and water quality that it went away'.

I did not have many, if any, cases come up in rams so I can't say for sure which it was or more likely to be.

I would say my case sounds more like HLLE, and I have been doing weekly water changes and switched to a better diet. Would that mean it's safe to get more rams?

If it is HLLE then there is no pathogen present, so yes, it would be safe to add rams.
What are you feeding?
What is the nitrate concentration?

I was feeding Aqueon flakes, but I recently switched to Omega one because of a recommendation by someone here.

I assume you mean nitrate is 10ppm.

Omega is not bad, definitely up there. But IME NLS is better. I personally would suggest switching to NLS and feeding that exclusively, or at least trying it. The Thera+A formula has enough garlic to kill some parasites, which is great while adding fish (increased risk of parasites as well as helping them eat better, sooner).

Oops, yes I did mean nitrate. I'll get the NLS next time I'm out, thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom