Dying Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LindsayBlum

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:cry:My betta, Pico, has been very healthy up until two days ago. I think he is dying...

He's over 4 years old, so I guess it's old age? He pretty much only lays on his side, at the bottom of his tank. He's barely breathing, and surfacing less often. I'm afraid that he's just going to drown.

He did eat a few pellets yesterday, but as soon as he finished, he just sunk to the bottom of his tank and returned to laying on his side.

I guess I'm just sad. I've had him for so long...

My Fish « lindsay blum

I would guess it is his time due to his age. I am so sorry but he had a good long life with you. You have obviously provided very well for him to live over 4 years.

I'm sorry to hear that. I know it's hard to watch :( I had a few bettas die that way too, after they lived long and happy lives. I would guess your betta is old too, but you obviously took care of him very well.

The only suggestion I have is to possibly lower the water level a little, making it easier for him to get to the surface, but you may have to re-position the heater so it is not exposed to the air. Lowering the water like this will not cure him but it can make him more comfortable during his last days.

Sorry to hear about Pico, its amazing how attached you can get to fish. I just recently had a neon die, its sad to watch them suffer. I know how you feel, best of luck.

Any plans on some new fish to take your mind off of him?

Back
Top Bottom