Electric Blue Ram Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaines1991

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello.

Several months ago I purchased an electric blue ram for my aquarium , I have yet to find a suitable mate for him.

A couple of days ago I noticed a whitish area developing on his body , the research I have done suggests that it may be some sort of parasite , the ram appears to feed normally and seems quite active but I have noticed that his caudal fin seems to be clamped.

Any ideas on what this may be would be most appreciated , I've also included a picture to illustrate this. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1404416490.126900.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, how's he doing? Had you introduced any new fish or anything recently or made any tank changes? Have you tested the water?

I'm following on this one. I did wonder if it could be Lymphocystis.

It's the ebr curse.. sorry you're Lil guy isn't doing so hot..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have been observing the ram and this morning I noticed the white growth has completely disappeared , there is a small light brown patch where it was but it doesn't look like an infection is setting in. His behaviour seems normal for the moment , he is still eating and moving around the tank however the tail fin is still clamped which concerns me.

The other fish in the tank are fine and they are not displaying any signs of illness , I performed a water test yesterday and everything looks fine will be performing a water change later today.

I will continue to observe the ram and will report back if there is any change.

Lots of water changes will help. Do you have a small tank setup that you can use as a QT/hospital tank?

I hope your fish continues to get better.

Lots of water changes will help. Do you have a small tank setup that you can use as a QT/hospital tank?

I hope your fish continues to get better.

Hi , I currently have a 8 litre tank that is empty however one of my platys recently have birth to a whole load of babies and I need that tank to look after them lol. Think I will go out and find myself a small tank to house the ram.

That would be a great to get a small tank for the Ram. Always better to take the precaution by QT'ing any sick fish so the others don't risk getting the issue.

Cool about all the babies!!

Hey thanks for the reply.

I have been observing the ram and this morning I noticed the white growth has completely disappeared , there is a small light brown patch where it was but it doesn't look like an infection is setting in. His behaviour seems normal for the moment , he is still eating and moving around the tank however the tail fin is still clamped which concerns me.

The other fish in the tank are fine and they are not displaying any signs of illness , I performed a water test yesterday and everything looks fine will be performing a water change later today.

I will continue to observe the ram and will report back if there is any change.

Good news getting better. Any idea what it was?

Good news getting better. Any idea what it was?

I'm not sure what it was , based on the research that I had done i was concerned that It may have been Tetrahymena a parasite known to affect dwarf cichlids but luckily It looks like a false alarm , the brown area on the ram I spoke of earlier is where the scale has dropped off taking the growth with it. I'm still watching his behaviour and so far everything is normal the tail fin still appears clamped though , I'm wondering if this is because he doesn't have a lady friend lol

Back
Top Bottom