Elephant nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkiggy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Anyone have an elephant nose fish ? What do you feed it and how ? I got one yesterday and hasn't come out of hiding yet. I'm sure it is hungry

bkiggy said:
Anyone have an elephant nose fish ? What do you feed it and how ? I got one yesterday and hasn't come out of hiding yet. I'm sure it is hungry

Hi, I have one had him for 6mths now. Mine eats live bloodworm his favorite! Live brine shrimp, frozen bloodworm, frozen brine shrimp, mosquito larvae black & white, daphnia, mysis & brine shrimp with garlic. He shares my 55 with 1 angelfish, 1 pearl gourami, bnp & 4 cories. Upgrading him soon. Hope this helps :)

WOW ! All that.... Geeze
Mine hides while the light is on, don't think he likes it much-very bright because I have all live plants.
When the lights are off he swims around. Have not seen him eat yet, but still probably getting used to surroundings.
--Just live food or frozen ok? Should I get a "turkey baster" and put food in his face? Or are they good at finding it?

I have 2 angels , pictus cat, albino cory, 2 blue ram

bkiggy said:
WOW ! All that.... Geeze
Mine hides while the light is on, don't think he likes it much-very bright because I have all live plants.
When the lights are off he swims around. Have not seen him eat yet, but still probably getting used to surroundings.
--Just live food or frozen ok? Should I get a "turkey baster" and put food in his face? Or are they good at finding it?

I have 2 angels , pictus cat, albino cory, 2 blue ram

Yep turkey baster will do fine, put the food as close as you can to him. Or if he's hiding put it in there. Mine eats from my hand so I know he gets enough. When he's settled he,ll come out during the day, mines always prowling lol

I've heard that in time they will get used to you and eat out of your hand!! Thats cute.
What about water changes? I do it now at 10 gallons every 6/7 days..... And I have a 40 gallon tank.
I use prime to condition and flourish for plant food

bkiggy said:
I've heard that in time they will get used to you and eat out of your hand!! Thats cute.
What about water changes? I do it now at 10 gallons every 6/7 days..... And I have a 40 gallon tank.
I use prime to condition and flourish for plant food

That sounds fine, good luck with him. Mine is my pride & joy lol :)

I have to guess that he is eating... I have tried the turkey baster and he runs from it. I've put in live brine shrimp and blood worms. Make a cocktail and put it in the middle bottom tank. Everyday I wonder If he made it over night, when I get up.
They do root around so if the food makes it to the bottom , he'll get it right? That's also assuming that that the other fish don't get it first?
I'm trying !!!! If he doesn't make it I'll feel horrible, cause he probably starved
But I'm trying

bkiggy said:
I have to guess that he is eating... I have tried the turkey baster and he runs from it. I've put in live brine shrimp and blood worms. Make a cocktail and put it in the middle bottom tank. Everyday I wonder If he made it over night, when I get up.
They do root around so if the food makes it to the bottom , he'll get it right? That's also assuming that that the other fish don't get it first?
I'm trying !!!! If he doesn't make it I'll feel horrible, cause he probably starved
But I'm trying

Are you feeding him with the lights off? Does he have a cave or tube he can hide in? Give him time, he,ll need to settle in. When he gets brave he,ll come for his food. Try not too worry :)

Well it's been a week, the elephant nose is still alive so I have to assume it is eating. Hides while the light is on, as soon as it goes out, he come out. Feeding my tank, frozen brine shrimp.

bkiggy said:
Well it's been a week, the elephant nose is still alive so I have to assume it is eating. Hides while the light is on, as soon as it goes out, he come out. Feeding my tank, frozen brine shrimp.

That's good to hear :)

bkiggy said:

That's great to hear :)

Back
Top Bottom